Oceanic Geo EL2 error?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mrspace

New
Reaction score
is anyone's geo displaying this even on sea level? gotta go get it changed, its itermittened.. somtiems its fine, but most of the time it shows el2 on the main dive screen

is anyone's geo displaying this even on sea level? gotta go get it changed, its itermittened.. somtiems its fine, but most of the time it shows el2 on the main dive screen

The altitude setting on the geo is based on barometric pressure, on days when the barometric pressure is low, it is possible for the computer to interpert this as a dive at a higher altitude. This will result in a reduction of your bottom time, at the deeper depths, of up to one or two minutes. To my knowledge, there is no planed fix of this, as it is not really a problem.

Phil Ellis

My Atom 2 does this as well.

It's only bothersome to me when I can't get it to stay in watch mode.

My Atom 2 does this as well.

It's only bothersome to me when I can't get it to stay in watch mode.

I could be wrong on this, but I think I heard that the Oceanic "fix" for this problem on latest inventory was to supress the display of the altitude correction. It would still be working , but the display would not indicate such. However, I am subject to be wrong on this.

Phil Ellis

I could be wrong on this, but I think I heard that the Oceanic "fix" for this problem on latest inventory was to supress the display of the altitude correction. It would still be working , but the display would not indicate such. However, I am subject to be wrong on this.

Phil Ellis

So I'm guessing there's a newer firmware? Any idea if I can get Oceanic to give it to my LDS?

thanks all! got mine changed at the LDS. 1-1 .. mine's funny, shows el2 at one sec and the next it shows sea.. keeps doing so.. hopefully this set is ok..

I have the same problem. I get EL2 readings (pretty much all the time), even when at sea level. Like sitting on a boat in the middle of the ocean sea level, on perfectly nice days. I find it annoying, but not particularly problematic. However, if there were a firmware update, I would certainly be interested.

Mine does this too. Matter of fact, it is doing it AGAIN this week. And I live in Florida--we don't get much higher than sea level in this state!

It didn't do it at all until last year, following a dive at a particularly sandy spot--leading me to originally think that it was a bit of sand wedged in the sensor. But now I've discovered it just seems to go back and forth between SEA and EL 2 at will. Google searching turns it up as a fairly common problem.

But if it only reduces time by a few minutes as I'm hearing, I'm not too worried about it. It is annoying, though.

C'mon Oceanic, how about a firmware flash!

I'm glad I found a thread on this issue. My GEO is stuck in EL3. I removed the battery, and it reset to Sea Level, but after diving again, it went back to EL3. I checked, and we were under a high pressure system, so that wasn't the cause. After diving the Blue Hole in Belize (same trip), there was a 10 minute difference in decomp time at 20 feet between my computer and my wife's and divemaster's computers. 10 minutes is a long time, and a big difference. Then after I flew home, I checked and it was now at Sea Level.

Does anyone know the fix for this? Oceanic you out there? Also, one person mentioned getting it fixed at LDS. What is LDS?

I paid a lot of money for this computer and one would expect it to work properly.

I've written Oceanic twice, and they have not responded. Is it time to trade up and away from Oceanic?

Actually... having my GEO stuck in either EL2 or EL3 is a BIG problem for me. Just like hdcspike stated, there is a big difference from my primary (Suunto) and my Geo (backup) on my dives. Last dive was on 8/7/10 and I noted a 15-20 min difference and a 10ft difference between the two. I check my buddies at 57 ft and our depths were the same on our Suuntos and his backup computer. As for now, my GEO is not touching the water until its fixed.

Question is... will Oceanic replace the dive computer or update it?
Does the LDS that I purchased it from have the ability to replace it on the spot for being faulty and be reimbursed from the company?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom