Oceanic Geo 2.0 or Veo 3.0?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Revid1

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I've always rented dive computers while on trips, but I would like to have one computer that I am comfortable with. My local dive op carries oceanic and besides giving a good price, he will be there if there are any problems. That is the main reason that I have narrowed it down. My question is how difficult is it to become familiar with these computers if I'm only diving 2x/year on 7 day dive trips? Does anyone have experience on the learning curve? I don't want a computer that I'm going to have to re-learn every time. I've looked through the manuals online and they do seem a little complicated. Thanks.

I have the Geo 2.0 and really like it. I did the DiveNav tutorial and found it very helpful.

I have the Aeris Manta, same as the Geo. I found navigating around the functions less intuitive than with my prior Suunto Mosquito but not hard to learn with some practice. For simple gauge use though, the info you need is on the primary screen. I like the readability of the Manta watch face and seeming ruggedness better than the Suunto.

One thing about the Geo/Manta (and apparently some of the other watch-sized wrist computers from Oceanic/Aeris) - they have a reputation for working well on the first battery, then being a PITA thereafter, eating batteries at a rate of several per month. If you search the various net forums, you'll find plenty of discussion of this issue. It can make the computer unusable or at the least something you're messing with every day or two to keep it working.

I've got my Manta in to Aeris for a 'fix', but they're giving me a hard time since I bought it new from someone who won it at a dive event. Given that this is apparently a design defect of long standing, that doesn't speak well for them. I haven't seen much reporting on whether the 'fix' is enduring or not. You'd think if it were, that they'd do it before the computer leaves the factory...

That is an interesting comment concerning the batteries. Has anyone else had the same experience? Not interested in a computer that has inherent problems from the start.

Any other thoughts on these computers versus other in the same price range or less? Will only be diving air/nitrox, so additional gas features aren't important.

I have the Geo 2.0, and couldnt be happier. You will need to spend some time on the DivNav class. Once I went throught the class I had zero problems, I actually found it easy to navigate. I think the battery problems are from the first version of the Geo. I only have around 4-5 hours on the watch so I can't talk long term.

I have the Geo 2.0 and really like it. I did the DiveNav tutorial and found it very helpful.

+1 on both counts. I really like my Geo 2.0 and, while I could have figured it out myself with enough messing around I found the DiveNav course to be worth the few bucks it costs.

...... I really like my Geo 2.0 and, while I could have figured it out myself with enough messing around I found the DiveNav course to be worth the few bucks it costs.

Quick update .... effective January 1st 2011, our online classes (for selected Oceanic dive computers) are free if you register your new dive computer with Oceanic.
See Oceanic website for details

Alberto (aka eDiver)

Read my post about my geo
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/oceanic/365617-third-defective-geo.html#post5667724

the Geo 1.0 and geo 2.0 are exactly the same hardware, just different LCD and dual algorithm.

I am replacing my geo w/ a veo and im excited for that. I haven't heard any real problems about the Veo eating batteries.

Almost everyone who has a geo has battery problems!
I soo strongly suggest avoiding buying one, the service sucks and so does the "factory repair" as they just send out broken units!

Im considering the Tusa iq-950 600 bucks for a wireless transmitter and all

I currently have a Suunto Mosquito... Its been going strong for 10 yrs.. I hate it when it locks me out with it gets error-ed due to a decompression dive. Which invariably happens on a week long trip.. Has the Geo and Manta solved this issue ?

I love my Geo 2.0. No battery problems with mine. I really like the fit of the Geo 2.0. It is what really sold me on the Geo, that and a user replaceable battery. I thought it was really easy to learn. Once it is set up you will never have to mess with it except to set the FO2 for nitrox.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom