Oceanic Data Trans Plus

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jpmorrison

Reaction score
:confused:
Just purchased a Oceanic Data Trans Plus computer, and now wondering if I made a mistake. I have read other messages about signal loss, shark attacks, ect. My real concern being the transmitter not sending signal to the display. I really think this is important to know how much air you have in you're tank. Do you need a extra hose with air gauge? This defeats the purpose of having a hoseless computer. Any info would be greatly appreciated
Thanks

Buddy of mine owns an Oceanic Data Trans Plus and he is very happy with it. He has no problems with loss of signal. He can go about 10 feet from his regulator with the wrist mount and still get a reading. Enjoy!

My first hoseless computer was the Data Trans Plus. I loved all the features that the unit had but I did have sever trouble with not only signal loss but also the volume of the alert tones. If I lost the signal, exceded my max depth, run low on air (not that I did this during a dive but tried it just to test the unit) I couldn't hear the alert tone. I figured it was worthless to have all the bells and whistles if you couldn't hear them trying to alert you to trouble. I returned the computer and got the Aladin AirX Nitrox hoseless computer. It's not as user frendly as the Data Trans but I don't loose the signal and you can hear the alert tones from a mile away they are so loud.

Scott

I had a Data Trans Plus and Beast had the Data Trans air when they first came out and we both had problems from the first with the unit linking up. His would not link when first turned on without alot of gyrations and a rain dance thrown in! If we were on a dive boat, he'd have to time it just right in order to have time to get the thing to turn on in time for the dive. He did quite a few dives on his back-up computer because of it.

My DTP would lose the link underwater. I know a few seconds may be normal, depending on transmitter to unit position but mine would just go blank for up to 7-8 minutes!

Oceanic replaces transmitters, wrist units, and both together numerous times before finally just giving up. Granted, this was in the first year they came out but I've heard similar instances since. I just don't trust transmitter signals anymore! My DataMax Pro Plus is well worth the hose! :D

I have used the Data Trans Plus extensively since 1998 without a hitch. My transmitter is second generation. There were some problems with the first generation transmitters, which the new design rectified. Momentary signal loss (for a few seconds) does occur occassionally, but I'm pretty sure that this is a fact of life with any hoseless, air-integrated dive computer.

If you want redundancy w/o an extra hose, just screw a pony bottle guage directly into the extra high pressure port on your first stage. In the unlikely event that your computer fails, you can slip out of your scuba unit and reassure yourself. I carry redundant depth and pressure guages, but in hundreds of dives with this computer, I've never needed them (knock on wood).

As for audible alarms... I can hear mine just fine. IMHO, you've purchased one of the finest dive computers currently available.

Have fun, and never stop learning!

I've used mine for several years with no problems. I did have a loss of signal for maybe 10 seconds at a time, but re-positioned the transmitter to a different port, and haven't lost a second since. It's been excellent! My only complaint is that I can no longer download to my computer since I changed to Windows XP. Oceanic says it's a problem, and they have no plans to fix it.

jpmorrison:

How has the DTP worked for you since your purchase?

Have you experienced any problems about which you read?

I am considering buying the DTP over the DataMax Pro Plus 2. Did you look at this one? Any thoughts?

Dove with it one time and everytime I put my arms down it'd lose the signal and beep at me.

Roak

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom