Oceanic computers discontinued?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubadada

Diver
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I noticed the VTX and the OCL are no longer on the Oceanic website. Have these computers been discontinued? Don't appear on LeisurePro either

I thought I heard somewhere the Geo 2.0 was possibly being discontinued as well.

I assumed that Huish intended to discontinue all or most of the Oceanic computers after their acquisition of Oceanic and once most of the existing stock was sold. I get the impression Huish is committed to distributing the Suunto line and not interested in making or selling anything that competes with it. I called Oceanic about something a couple of months ago and while on hold, they had a recording promoting Sunnto computers. I thought that was pretty telling. Although the Oceanic rep I spoke to denied any plans to discontinue more computers, he admitted that several models were unavailable at the moment for reasons that were unclear. I have no intention of replacing my Shearwater, and if my Atom backup computer dies, I will probably replace it with a Shearwater, so it doesn't really matter anyway.

Wow that doesn't look/sound good for us Oceanic owners. I have a 2 yr old ProPlus 3 at the moment and considered maybe the PPX in the future. Might need to rethink that. Not sure why they'd abandon it, though.

Because Aqualung bought Pelagic systems who made the Oceanic computers as well as those for several other brands.
Aqua Lung just released a new computer, the i770R, obviously made by Pelagic Pressure Systems. We'll see what happens to Oceanic, Sherwood, Genesis, and Tusa. Loss of Oceanic, Sherwood, and Genesis would also be the end of DSAT.

Quite by luck, on Labor Day, I found a brand new Geo 2.0 on Amazon for $207. I instantly bought it as a Christmas present for my son. I noticed that the price was back up to $279 today. I suspect there will be some good deals on Oceanic in the coming months.

I don't know that the VTX and the OCL were discontinued. My original posts asked if others thought or knew that they were. In the past, when computers have fallen off the Oceanic website, they were discontinued.

Back
Top Bottom