Oceanic Caribes- WAY TOO FLIMSY!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

billeelou

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Report on the real life use of Oceanic Caribes. Took them out with me on the Dive trip to Maya Palms in Majahual Mx. last week. Water temp 78-79 F. They had worked so well in the pool here at home, thought I had a real cheap set of winners...So I did not take an alternate pair ( my mistake:11: : )

Off the boat, with the load(BC,Tank, etc.) I was struggling to get any "traction" mild curent seemed to throw it all off. As I descended , they became more and more flexable until at about 40', I tried a "power flip" and felt something hit my leg about 6 inches above my ankle...and i got nowhere:06:Yep, it was the fins doing a 180 against the water resisitance. I will not bore you with a complete play by play:censored: , just let me say in a moderate current I would have been in a bit of trouble.

Other than flutter kicks, they were like not having any flippers on my feet. And the only response I got on any "strong type" kicks was the fin hitting either the front or back of my leg.:banghead:

Do not buy these :bomb: for SCUBA, they are not built for it!!! They may be ok for snorkling, but I'll put my Tre's in a suit case and carry the extra ounces before I risk ruining my next dive with these Caribes!!!

I thought I was imagining things when I thought I could feel mine clipping my calf occassionaly.
I wore mine on several warm water drift dives and they worked ok but I was doing flutter kicks primarilly. Don't recall that I really tried to use them against the current.
Scuba Diving Magazine had given them a great write up and never said anything about them folding against divers legs.
wondering now

You definitely can't use any kind of power kick with these. For what they were intended for they are fine. Snorkeling and warm water playing around diving. But to go against a current with full gear is just asking for trouble. They are an inexpensive fin made for travelers who occaisionally may dive. The light weight should be a tip off.And on a drift dive with the current they will be adequate for course corrections, a little boost, etc. But any time you plan on diving don't take a fin that even has snorkeling in the description. Voice of experience.

JimLap:
Snorkeling and warm water playing around diving. But to go against a current with full gear is just asking for trouble. The light weight should be a tip off.And on a drift dive with the current they will be adequate for course corrections, a little boost, etc. But any time you plan on diving don't take a fin that even has snorkeling in the description. Voice of experience.

I would not use then for anything other than laps in a pool, and I would use the Dive shop's rental flips before I use these again...I know now ... but I did not want anyone to think the scuba lab results met anything close to real life use with these fins

I have used Caribes. My opinion is that the Scubalab tests, tests which were performed by six divers with full SCUBA gear, and in which the Caribe were top rated, are representative of the Caribe's capabilities. One hears the same complaints about the Apollo Bio, that they are not good "in a current"; they are "too soft". That is more nonsense.

pescador775:
I have used Caribes. My opinion is that the Scubalab tests, tests which were performed by six divers with full SCUBA gear, and in which the Caribe were top rated, are representative of the Caribe's capabilities. One hears the same complaints about the Apollo Bio, that they are not good "in a current"; they are "too soft". That is more nonsense.

My opinion is my opinion. they hit the front and back of my leg, they did not perform as well as my TRE's, They did not feel as if I had anything on my feet as far as propulsion went...The Scubalab test may have been valid, but do not buy em new, call me.you can buy mine for 1/2 what they cost new...and while i will be happy to see em go, you will have my sympathy for wasting your money....

I am not a dealer, LDS owner or an operator, I get nothing either way..in other words I do not have a "dog in the fight"...these did not perform as advertised, period.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom