Oceanic Alpha 8 flooding when upside down!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Shock! I've never been lmgtfy in my life lol. Perhaps I wasn't clear, it was more if in your guys opinion was a regulator flooding when upside down potentially just a 'need of service' kind of thing?

The regs used to be used up until about 2010 by a dive school so I imagine they would have been recalled by then (since the recall seems to be about 2006). Also the recall is about the DX4 first stage when my problem is only one of my second stages.

Yep, that was not a friendly or useful reply, was it?

You have a leak somewhere in the 2nd stage. It's likely that it's either the exhaust valve or the mouthpiece. Since the exhaust valve is located beneath the mouthpiece flange in normal diving position, whatever water is leaking in just exits the exhaust valve when you exhale. Upside down, though, it drains into the mouthpiece flange and then you have a mouthful of water.

The comments like "it's normal" are probably not exactly true....it is common for some 2nd stages to allow a SMALL amount of water to enter even when the exhaust valve is in good shape. But 'flooding' is NEVER normal in any position. If it was no sane dive gear company would put it on the market, it's simply not safe and nobody would buy it. So, you have to decide whether your reg gets a little wet upside down (like my all-time favorite 2nd stage, my converted pilot) or really flooded, in which case I'd either get it fixed or toss it and get a different one.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom