Ocean Reef vs Regulator Air Use

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TW1012

Registered
Reaction score
I am thinking about buying the Ocean Reef full facemask.

What is the difference in air usage and bottom time?

Thanks.

Of almost ( I said ALMOST! ) all full face masks, the Neptune space masks have the lowest
volume, and are very easy breathing ( as long as you follow the instructions! ). That said
I wound that my air usage is lower due to the fact I am far more comfortable diving with a FFM.
Less stress = lower gas consumption.

BUT!

[FLAME SUIT ON] FFM's use more gas than regular in-mouth regulators. PERIOD. [Flame suit off]

How much? Thats probably different for each person. I doubt that I loose more than a couple minutes. BUT I have never really paid that much attention to it. I enjoy my dives more using a FFM. So to me there is no difference. more fun with FFM, or less fun/more jaw ache for a couple min longer? Its a NO BRAINER for me.
I love my OR Neptune Space & OR 1st stage. you can have mine only if you pry it from hands at gun point.

Ive dove KM EXO-26's ( like em, but heavy & the top strap mount hits m in center of forehead & hurts ), AGA's ( Nice, but not as sexy as my OR Neptune space )

Ty

You will use more air per dive with a FFM that does not have a mouth peice.

Bottom time is predicated by the amount of breathing gas you carry, your gas consumption rate (usually referred to as RVM) and the depth/No-Decompression Limit. The mask does not change any of these variables.

Personnally I would reccomend teh Kirby Morgan M-48 Supermask over the Oceanreef Neptune.
1. It cost less.
2. You don't have to cary a spare mask incase your regulator quits.
3. It is designed by a commercial diving helmet manufacturer instead of some gas mask company.
4. Its more durable and there is less clear plastic to scratch.
5. Can be used with most second stage regulators (down load the user manual and check you regulator first).
6. Has an in-the-mouth regulator mouth peice that reduces gas consumption and reduces CO2 buildup in the mask.
7. When you surface and pop the regulator pod off you can talk to your buddy without having to yell through a little Surface Air Valve.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom