Ocean Reef versus others

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jmsdiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am looking for opinions on the Ocean Reef Full Face mask (pros and cons) and how it rates against others. We all know Mario's opinion on the Interspiro; are there other opinions out there?

Tanks :)

Unfortunately, the Ocean Reef is the only one I have had the pleasure of handling in the shop. I can say that I liked the features I saw.

I've got an instructor friend who dives one of these. I'll e-mail you his email address....

Comments on both:

I've tried the ocean reef for about an hour in a pool and ended up buying an interspiro.

When you compare the two side by side, the interspiro seems like a sturdier piece of stuff. I bought the black/non positive pressure one. When wearing it, it does seem a bit more enclosed than the OR but thats to be expected because the OR has much more clear plastic and the one i tried had a light blue skirt so that also let some light in i'm sure. Plus the black just looks so darn cool (and fashion has to be at least a small consideration when buying gear, i think).

One thing you'll want for sure is some form of surface breathing device which i still cant believe the interspiro doesnt come with. As i recall, you could just unscrew a port in the OR mask and that would let you breath surface air. However, with the interspiro, there is no surface breathing mechanism that comes with it. As far as i know there are only two available - the Gill which gives a new glass and a vent by your temple and something from sartek called the surface breathing valve (SBV-1 i think is their name for it.) The SBV is the one i ordered (havent received it yet) and seems less obtrusive as it goes straight into the area where your mouth/nose are housed. What i found without that device is that you wear it on the surface, pre-dive, and as with all regulators its takes a bit of work to breath with out of water (not too much though.) So this does tend to get you into the water with a bit less air to start with depending on how long you stay out of the water. Plus it also gets you into the water in a less than relaxed state and thus your air consumption seems to go up. Looking quite forward to getting the SBV.

The one thing i kept thinking with the ocean reef is "damn i've got a lot of stuff in front of my face". The 2nd stage on the ocean reef seems to stick out a mile. I think you can place it on one of the side vents if you wanted to but then it comes back to the fashion thing again. I like the unobtrusive nature of the placement for the 2nd stage on the interspiro. Gives your face a much smoother profile.

As far as wearing both of them, i found them to both give a similar experience which is quite unlike a normal mask/regulator combination.

The main reason i bought the FFM was because of the communications ability. Unfortunately, the comm gear wasnt going to be delivered til the end of oct which places me around the time when i'm likely to curtail diving for the season, so i cancelled it and cant comment on that aspect.

Thats about it. I love my interspiro.

steve

I've been using the Ocean Reef full face mask for the past couple of years, usually in near freezing conditions. After initially getting used to not haveing a mouthpiece between your teeth I've found it to be extremely comfortable and easy to use. Taking one of the side plugs out on the surface enables breathing. I would recommend this one though have never tried any of the others available.

Between the Ocean Reef and AGA, I prefer the AGA. But my mask of choice is the EXO-26. I own all three and have been diving FFM for about 10 years.

Marc,

Got a link to the EXO-26?

ID

I, too, like the AGA when compared to the larger OR. However, due to visual limitations (i.e. glasses and cannot wear contacts) and the many other features that the OR offers, I went with the Ocean Reef. The AGA breaths better and performs better in all environments that I have dove with it. Unfortunately, I could not see. I have not had the opportunity to try the EXO, but a friend of mine owns one. The comm unit that he has is crystal clear.

Thanks for the comments, more are welcome.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom