Ocean Quest Scuba in Puerto Vallarta

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sorry could not give you any info Ocean Quest but i hope you really enjoy your vacation and ow if you like to know on land activities i can also recomand just ask take care and thanks for not drilling me on my spelling i know it sucks.

Ok I did the AOW with Ocean Quest and here is what I have for you. They were OK and that is about it. There was no cattle boat but it was a Pongo Boat. No big deal there. You do a backwards roll instead of a big step. I like it better but thats me. The guys running it are good. No real complaints. You do need to think about transporttion to and from the dive site. You are not doing a long boat ride (about 10min) but the drive out to Mismaloya is a little long. From Marina Vallarta it is 170Pasos. Thats roughly $17 USD each way. I did 7 dives while i was here and I enjoyed the dive out at Marietta Isl the most. But I did not use OC for that. I was able to rent a car and that helped. The buses are pretty good considering. A car was worth the $60 a day when ypou think about cab fair to and from. I am heading home to unpack my new house tomorrow and if I can find a computer I will tell you more and send you some pics of the guys and the boat they use.

Rob,
Thanks for the info. We are staying in downtown so we should be closer than Marina Vallarta. I have done a back roll when I did a resort course in Cozumel and didnt have any problem with it so that doesnt bother me but the drive to Mismaloya bothers me a little. They said we meet at their shop in the romantic zone, is this not the case? In any case I have booked with them and cant wait to get there. Did you do any of the other land activities there? We are also going to do the Canapy tour and I am a little nervouse about that since hights are not one of my favourite things.
well again thanks for the info.
Matt

OceanQuest is a fun, little outfit and I have done several dives with them, including my AOW.

Klaus is the head of the operation and he is a good instructor.

All of the diving that I did with them was at Los Arcos; you head out on small boats from Playa Mismaloya and only takes minutes from the beach to the dive site.

To get to Mismaloya, you will take a public bus from the dive shop and meet up again with the crew at the beach; when I first did this, I was nervous as I had never used the Mexican public transportation system and now I am a huge fan as a $20 cab ride can be had for about $0.05 -- never took a cab in PV again.

I see quite a bit on the boards that people feel there is not much to PV diving, but at Los Arcos there was tons of wildlife in the water and it seemed to be a good spot for Manta sightings. I was diving with some people who had recently been diving in Cozumel and they commented that the wildlife was much more abundant in PV.

The best part of diving with OceanQuest was dive-bonding with the other people that I met...made many friends and we would gather at Burro's Bar, on the beach, for sunsets, drinks, and relflection of the day's dives.

I had a great time doing my ow cert with Klaus. He is very relaxed and made it a very fun and exciting experiance. I was not at all bothered by the bus ride out to Mismaloya as he had his DM James take us out there and back on the bus. Once you do it once it is not a problem at all. I loved Los Arcos and agree that the marine life was great...just no coral. We also dove a place farther south in the bay called Mayahuitas ( sp ) and had a great time there as well. I can say that one of the best things about Ocean Quest was meeting other people there and even on the days we didnt dive we still stopped by and said hi and visited with Klaus and James and the people in the shop next door. I loved PV and cant wait to go back in the summer when the diving is supposed to be way better. I will dive with Klaus again as it was a fun experiance.

We used Chico's Dive shop last February. It was a cattle boat as far as snorklers were considered but we were the only divers at Los Arcos. The further out sites were not crowded at all (5-6divers). They were great and our DM was awesome.

Miranda

nwarainbw:
I had a great time doing my ow cert with Klaus. He is very relaxed and made it a very fun and exciting experiance. I was not at all bothered by the bus ride out to Mismaloya as he had his DM James take us out there and back on the bus. Once you do it once it is not a problem at all. I loved Los Arcos and agree that the marine life was great...just no coral. We also dove a place farther south in the bay called Mayahuitas ( sp ) and had a great time there as well. I can say that one of the best things about Ocean Quest was meeting other people there and even on the days we didnt dive we still stopped by and said hi and visited with Klaus and James and the people in the shop next door. I loved PV and cant wait to go back in the summer when the diving is supposed to be way better. I will dive with Klaus again as it was a fun experiance.
Glad you had fun on your OW cert - congratulations! I just booked PV for the first week of July. What kind of visibility did you have? How many divers per boat? Lots (any) snorkelers on board?

Thanks,

Jerry

July is a good time to go. The water is warm and you get some of the best vis. I dive about 3 times a week with Twin Dolphins and during that time you might only have one or two other divers, rarely snorklers. Lots of dolphins and still a few Mantas around.

Back
Top Bottom