Ocean Master Mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubagal28

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am considering getting a Ocean Master mask. Probably the View3. I am curious though how easy the Q-strap buckle is to adjust. Can anyone tell me how well it works and if you have had any problems?

q-strap is great and simple to adjust, the mask was too small for me

I have had no problems with it - easy to tighten, easy to loosen. I don't advise getting one of their masks with a purge valve though. (I don't know if that applies to the one you are looking at) The valve works OK but the hard plastic frame on it bites into the bottom of my nose sometimes and hurts after a while.

I have the Primero. It's my second OM Mask. The Q-Straps are comfy and easy to adjust. I too have the purge and as said it works fine even with the outer plastic guard missing. It's so simple to clear a mask I wouldn't bother with the purge.

Choosing a mask is a 100% subjective issue which should be based on fit and comfort. Neither my opinion nor anyone elses is at all relevant to you. now for my $.02 on the Q strap, I personally don't like it because of compatibility issues, if you break a strap, a generic save a dive strap won't fit. so if you do like the mask make sure you get a spare strap to fit it.

I have not had any problems with mine. I have the purge and it fits great. I have had no problems w/ the strap. However, the strap does present a possible/probable compatibility issue, so yes I would recommend getting a spare if you can. The only thing I don't like about mine is the limited peripheral view. I can't remember which model mine is, but it has plastic side panes. The next mask I get will have glass side panes. I agree that choosing a mask is subjective. I would suggest finding a dive shop that will let you borrow/rent one for a dive to see how you like it. Good luck!

I had a OM purge which I picked up second hand, loved it. It never fogged or leaked past my mustache. I miss that mask, made the mistake of loaning it to the wife one day. Haven't seen it since, then she "tried" to loan (give) it to her daughter. Grrrrrrrrrrrr. Bought me a X mask, love it but it leaks and I missed the Q strap so I bought a replacement Q strap and installed it on my X. Still have a little leak past the stach but the strap is the best. Thinking of getting another OM, purge or not. Loved the mask.

I had an OM Z2 but ended up getting rid of it. The Q strap was great and easy to adjust but like Kim mentioned the purge valve was a major source of irritation. The thing rubbed the skin off the bottom of my nose. Other than that I liked the mask.

If you want to buy one I would suggest buying it somewhere where you can try it on. Pay attention to how the purge valve hits your nose. If it touches it at all then it is likely to get more irritating the longer you wear it.

I originally tried the mask on because I like the fact they come in pink but it fit my face really well. The only thing that was holding me back was the Q-strap. So, thanks very much for all the information especially about the purge valve.

Back
Top Bottom