Occidental Grand

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

richhagelin

Contributor
Reaction score
OK..... booked into Occidental Grand May 15-22. Anyone with experience at this facility, I'm looking for hints (including for my non-diving spouse). What kind of clothes (other than shorts and t-shirts) do we need. Any activities to not miss (any to not bother with)?, etc, etc.

Either PM or share with all.

Thanks,

Rich Hagelin

richhagelin:
OK..... booked into Occidental Grand May 15-22. Anyone with experience at this facility, I'm looking for hints (including for my non-diving spouse). What kind of clothes (other than shorts and t-shirts) do we need. Any activities to not miss (any to not bother with)?, etc, etc.

Either PM or share with all.

Thanks,

Rich Hagelin

I have some info posted at http://www.jumpstartmusic.com/CozTrav2000/index.html
that may be of some help to you. Enjoy your trip! I'm in "countdown mode" myself.

We have stayed at the Grand in the past and will be staying again this weekend. We found it to be a great hotel, very nice, clean, quiet, pretty good food overall, very nice rooms and excellent service. It does have a few very minor negatives (to some people) but almost all resorts/hotels do to one degree or another. Take a look at the following link, it will give you some more information www.travelnotes.cc/cozumel/links/lodgingreviews/hotels/occidental.html

Have fun!!! :bounce:

Rich,

It is a nice facility. Big rooms. Here are a few tips. Food was better in the restaurants than in the buffet room. The buffet seemed to always be the same. It is a problem for reservations in the restaurants, you have to sign up each morning at 8 am and we were always getting ready for our morning dive each day so we never had time to stay in line to sign up. Not very nice to divers- you wife might want to get up and stand in line after breakfast. I hear it goes fast.

Ask for more water bottles every day -they only give you 2.

If you want to eat in one of their restaurants then take a pair of pants and a buttoned shirt and have you wife take a nice sundress. You can get by with shorts and tees almost all of the time. The Occidental has more activities to do- like painting ceramics, etc.. The Grand really does not have much but water sports and the bar. Oh, but they do have a spa where your wife can get manicures, massages, etc.. Give her a treat!

The Grand is much nicer and more of a couples place than the Allegro. Allegro is a family place with tons of teens. In December 2003 it was a cattle call at the Allegro. They were in the process of renovating alot but the rooms are loud (I have been told).

I would ask for a complementary pass to check out the Allegro so your wife can spend one day over there. All Occidental properties publish a semi-daily activity guide so have your wife pick one up to plan her activities (if in the mood).

Check your gear with the cabana boy and tip him and you can keep your gear at their dive shop every day and pick it up when you need it. You might want to write you name on your gear (we did not and did not have any problems).

I would recommend diving with another dive op because you feel like sardines on their boats and the dm's were drinking tequila shots right after the one night we did a night dive with Dive Palancar. Most any dive op will pick you up there. We like Papa Hogs and Dive with Martin.

Don't let the Occidental Group try and sell you their membership. It will sour you on the whole place. Take a day trip into town and eat at El Capi! Legal Parking is hard to find downtown, so just splurge on the cab.

Enjoy your stay! I am envious.

Rich,

I'm new to the board and I'm not sure what I can add a huge amount to what bethbsting covered in her thorough review (great by the way), but there are a couple of things.

First off I went with a non-diver as well and (luckily for me) she was perfectly content to sit on the beach which I did my morning dives. I agree with Beth and don't use Dive Palancar. I would recommend using Dive Paradise. They will actually pick you up down the beach at the Allegro pier (a ten minute walk) if you ask. I noticed last year that the Grand had started a pier so it may be servicable by now for them to pick you up there. Ask for the small boat(6 divers) with DP and you won't regret it! As for your spouse even if she doesn't dive the snorkeling off the Grand beach was kind of nice. Nothing major mind you but I always found myself out there snorkeling at least once a day :)

Like Beth said the food was so, so but the rooms were beautiful and and the service was good overall. Even though we drank plenty of frozen drinks there and didn't have a problem (GI-wise) make sure to bring antibiotics with you in case you pick up a bug.

Not too many activites really at the Grand but that was ok with us. We went into town a couple of times for dinner, etc, but beware it's about $15 US (one way) for a taxi into town.

Clothing wise I wore my trunks almost 24/7 (except during dinner) because it was a might toasty (89-93 avg). I also agree with Beth and really don't think you'll need more than a couple changes of nice clothes (slacks, dress, dress-shirt, etc) because the rest of the time you'll want as cool a clothing as possible. One other item, I'm from Ohio but I can tell you if you don't get a lot of sun before you go bring a hat...LOL. I managed to cook the top of my head in a couple of days (ouch!).

Hope that helps you some! Have a great trip!

Thanks for the great reviews. My wife and I are going to the Occidental in April and diving with Blue XT Sea.

I know I need slacks and a button shirt for dinner in the restaurants, but can we wear shorts, a tee shirt and flip flops to dinner at the buffets?

Since we are both divers and will be hard pressed to stand in line in the morning to make dinner reservations, will we miss much if we skip the dinners at the restaurants in favor of the buffets?

Is it feasible to seek out the guy who takes the dinner reservations and slip him a $20 to automatically put our names on the restaurant dinner list for the duration of our stay? But if we did that would we be cutting out of a dinner reservation for somone who was willing play by the rules and stand in line?

Texas Diver:
Thanks for the great reviews. My wife and I are going to the Occidental in April and diving with Blue XT Sea.

I know I need slacks and a button shirt for dinner in the restaurants, but can we wear shorts, a tee shirt and flip flops to dinner at the buffets?

Jeez, a dress code on Cozumel? Not for me, thanks. The most up I ever get dressed on Cozumel is white shorts with a belt and a short sleeved collared shirt; if I can't go there dressed like that, I'm not going. My knees need to breathe. ;^)

ggunn:
Jeez, a dress code on Cozumel? Not for me, thanks. The most up I ever get dressed on Cozumel is white shorts with a belt and a short sleeved collared shirt; if I can't go there dressed like that, I'm not going. My knees need to breathe. ;^)

ggun:

My sentiments exactly!

But when my wife says we go AI at the Occidental Grand or we don't go, suddenly it becomes very clear to me that I am wearing slacks and a shirt during dinner!

PS: If you have your wife under some sort of mind control please direct me to the website where I can purchase the DVD, so that in the future I too may be able to post such manly remarks. But until such time, I am just happy to be going to Cozumel, my wardrobe restrictions not withstanding!
I seek your compassion and understanding.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom