OC to CCR: After Trimix? Or after Adv Trimix?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Stuart, I was in your position 4.5 years ago when I switched to CCR, I had done my open circuit normoxic trimix course with the goal of diving a particular wreck in around 210' (70m) as well as many other deep reef exploratory dives 150-200' (50-60m). My plan was after completing my OC normoxic trimix to work up to doing my 70m wreck dive, I quickly ran into the logistical issues of OC Trimix, that is get gas mixed for a particular dive then on the day having to sit out the dive because conditions did not allow us to do the dive we planned so a shallower dive was done instead, I chose to sit out the dive rather than blowing $200 worth of trimix. Heading away on weekend dive trips and needing to lug multiple sets of doubles around and or He and O2 to mix gas for dives was a PITA, in my state no one pumps trimix all the dives we are doing is pioneering stuff. I quickly realized CCR was the way to go purely for gas logistic reasons. Within 12 months I purchased a CCR and did the air dil course, with 50 hrs on the unit I started using normoxic trimix dil diving to 40m extending that towards 50m after around 100hrs on the unit. Approaching two years and around 150hrs on the unit I did my CCR trimix normoxic dil course.

Since then I moved on to diving hypoxic dil and have achieved my goal of diving my 70m wreck, and numerous other dives in the 50-70m range. Next year I will do my hypoxic dil CCR course and in the meantime extend my max depth towards 80m exploring deep reefs.

Stuart, you wanted to hear from someone who did Adv Trimix first and then CCR.
That's me. But before the CCR I did the Windjammer in Bonaire -- first on air then on normoxic Trimix -- and checked off one of my bucket list dives. Then I did the USS Monitor with hypoxic trimix. A pinnacle dive for me then, and a great memory now. And another check mark. Full Cave training with stages was mixed in there. Several visits to Abaco for the Blue Holes with Brian Kakuk was another set of terrific experiences, and some more check marks.

Then I bought a CCR; hey, long and/or deep, with the increasing price of He, and the bulk/weight of all those OC bottles, it made sense. But what did NOT make sense was the daunting amount of quality experience I needed before using the CCR in a cave, or on a big OW dive. i figured 3-5 years to actually begin using the CCR to its potential. Along the way, I kept on getting older. Seemed to me the curves were crossing.....about the time I could comfortably use the CCR on those deep and/or long dives, I was beginning to think I did not really want to do those deep and/or long dives anymore.

I sold the CCR. I realized I had already checked the main technical and cave boxes on my list, and my current and future diving is more about good friends, interesting places, working on underwater photography, and fighting off the ravages of time.

Lessons learned? Start earlier, don't dally, and decide what kind of diving I want to do and don't over-train or over-purchase for it.

Last edited:
Although I was already a OC trimix instructor before I started down the CCR road I see little value in training OC if your goal is CCR. Trimix training on CCR is more about emergency survival, dive planning and use of the tools at hand. There is actually very little skill involved in breathing on an OC regulator. It`s all the other stuff that counts up to and after you find that OC regulator in your mouth.

Hope you aren't looking for a definitive answer Stuart. Seems it's 50/50.

Personally, I would dive OC till you are blue in the face, or until the logistical headaches of OC become overwhelming.

The other question is how often you plan to be diving mixed gas. If it's only a few times a year, stay with OC for a while...if you are going to be doing it a few times a week...go get the CCR.

You can still learn to manage multiple stages, and could get fairly proficient if you are inclined to bailout on the last dive of every trip just to maintain proficiency. As AJ said though, in a real bailout you most likely will have degraded facilities.

Overall, it's your choice.

Just go CCR straight away if you wanna start with it at some point. The more OC dives u got the more training for CCR you will need. Go for CCR and train with the machine instead!

Back
Top Bottom