Observations during gf's cert. class

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RedCash02

Contributor
Reaction score
Ahh, it's good to be back. I took an extended break from this hobby because of grad. school and moving across the country from my dive buddy.

My girlfriend finally decided to give scuba a try, and I've had the opportunity to hear about and watch some of her classes so far. I'd just thought I'd post some of my observations about the current PADI (of course) BOW. My BOW was 10 years ago and I've always striven to improve my skills and safety. This isn't meant to be a criticism of her instructor because he seems great overall.

1) I know this is beating a dead horse, but I find it shocking that they stopped teaching tables. In the time they spent time showing off all the computers for sale in the shop and trying on the HUD mask, they could have mastered the simple tables. Yes, everyone does use computer now, but we shouldn't treat them as black boxes. IMO, if you understand the tables then you know what the computer is doing and appreciate your NDL a little more. Emphasizing computers can make new divers overconfident and not plan their dive, because they think their AI computer does everything.

Tables saved a dive for me on a wreck in 100ft of water. I always write down the relevant depths for the dive and NDL on my slate. In my haste, I didn't set the mix when I put it in nitrox mode, so it went to the failsafe of 79% N2/50% O2. The thing went ballistic on my descent because of the PPO2. If it weren't for those numbers on my slate I would have had to scrap that dive.

2) With all the money PADI must make, you'd think they could at least change their book. Sure, they put a new cover on it, but the content hasn't changed at all. The pictures were already old in 2000, but now it's just comical to see some of the stuff. They don't teach the tables, but they still talk about front inflate BC's and things to look for in a good snorkel. They also spend too much time in that book (and especially the DVD) trying to sell you more PADI courses.

3) All the females in the course dive only on Al 63. I can understand their use for certain people, but for average-sized women they should really be on Al 80's. If they go to anywhere and rent a tank, it's most likely going to be an 80, so why make their first certified dive even harder? Plus, they're going to be diving in 59 F ocean water for their checkout dives so air consumption will be through the roof, anyway.

4) Why didn't my class have those awesome toys in the pool?!?!

5) A 5.5 student to instructor ratio seemed a bit high for BOW. The pool also seemed too crowded with people bouncing into each other. Maybe I was just spoiled by my small classes.

I'm out of time, so I'll leave it at that. I'm sure I'll have more after the ocean dives.

Yah, beating a dead horse, but I can't help myself either :D

IMO, if you understand the tables then you know what the computer is doing

IMO you're wrong. :wink:

I'm willing to bet that >99% of people who still learn how to use tables in Open Water do not learn how they were generated, particularly not to the level necessary to know what a dive computer does.

*shrug*

They also spend too much time in that book (and especially the DVD) trying to sell you more PADI courses.

Maybe so. Stop by your local 5 star PADI facility and see what they think. :D

I was certified in 2008 and we had to learn the tables. Are they not teaching them any more?

And I would have given my left arm for a 5.5 to one student/instructor ratio. My certification class had 22 people in it with 2 instructors. I was extremely apprehensive and scared during certification, and my instructor basically kicked me out of his group because he had too many other people to deal with. Had it not been for a kick a** divemaster, I would never have gotten certified.

I'm willing to bet that >99% of people who still learn how to use tables in Open Water do not learn how they were generated, particularly not to the level necessary to know what a dive computer does.

I'm not saying they need to understand how RGBM or Buhlmann gets the numbers it comes up with. It's like anything else, you don't need to know the exact mathematics and theory to understand the overall concept. I can explain the key points of my field of research in half an hour, or I can give you a semester long course on how exactly you arrive at those results. Just a little understanding can go a long way. But if you just strap a computer on their wrist and tell them don't let this number go to 0 then the computer could be using astrology for all they know.

The key is not learning how to work the tables, the key is have they learned what they need to know about decompression? And, of course, have they really learned what they need to know from question #5 on Knowledge Review 1. If they have that down, they'll know almost everything they'll need to know to dive safely at the recreational level!

We concur and only teach our PADI open water classes using the tables, not a computer and not even the eRDP. The student is truly being done a disservice if the instructor cannot illustrate the actual physiological events that occur when pressurizing and de-pressurizing the body. A thorough understanding of the tables helps divers know what the computer is telling them when they get around to purchasing one, which most ultimately do.

Regarding tank sizes, we typically use 50 CF cylinders in the pool. Our feeling is that there is no need to over burden the diver while they are learning the skills; and we never run out of gas. We can get to heavier tank humping in a later session; it's not too hard to learn that skill!

I was certified in 2008 and we had to learn the tables. Are they not teaching them any more?

And I would have given my left arm for a 5.5 to one student/instructor ratio. My certification class had 22 people in it with 2 instructors. I was extremely apprehensive and scared during certification, and my instructor basically kicked me out of his group because he had too many other people to deal with. Had it not been for a kick a** divemaster, I would never have gotten certified.

No, PADI now includes this pamphlet that's says a bit about the tables and then spends the rest of the time showing you nice pictures of computers from manufacturers -- the onese that stuff PADI's pockets I'm sure. It also tells you about how to push the buttons to operate the computer, but as Unix users always say: RTFM.

Wow! good thing you had that divemaster. If I saw my gf's class was like that I would have taken her out and bought her lessons elsewhere. I think it was the number of divers in that size of pool. The thing looked like a hot tub with them underwater.

The key is not learning how to work the tables, the key is have they learned what they need to know about decompression? And, of course, have they really learned what they need to know from question #5 on Knowledge Review 1. If they have that down, they'll know almost everything they'll need to know to dive safely at the recreational level!

Good point. I still think tables help some people plan dives, but maybe not.

"Wow! good thing you had that divemaster. If I saw my gf's class was like that I would have taken her out and bought her lessons elsewhere. I think it was the number of divers in that size of pool. The thing looked like a hot tub with them underwater.[/QUOTE]"

Amen to that! I thank my lucky stars for her every time I dive!

The treatment I got from the instructor (calling me a big baby) during that course vs. the treatment I got from the divemaster (actually working through my fear) has inspired me to not only love diving, but to aspire to be a divemaster/instructor one day. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom