Obnixious little box did it's BEEP, BEEP, BEEP thing!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gary D.

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I get home and check out of service after one of those nights from hell at 0101 hours.

I lose 44 pounds of weight and pour a Cruzan and Coke. One sip, yup, one flippin sip and BEEP, BEEP, BEEP. You’re flippin kidding, right.

I grab the obnoxious little box and hit the read button to see what it has to say. “CALLOUT, (like I didn’t know that part) VEH IN BULL RUN SLEW, COME UP ON RED PLS 01:34 AM 4/11/05”.

Now the decision needs to be made. Flippin dispatch has screwed up every call they have dealt with tonight. They sent me to a suspect’s house instead of the victim’s house not only once but twice tonight saying they were a victim. I told them once more and I was becoming a Postal employee.

Have they screwed this one up? Is it for real? It’s like that commercial on TV “Gotta go, gotta go, gotta go right now”. Toss the drink in the freezer as I head out the door.

Into the car, lit up and back in service at 01:36. Two miles later I’m on the freeway headed east for a fast 35 more miles that should take around 23 minutes. One by one more dive units are checking into service.

Shoshone County, which is to the east of us, has patrol units rolling as well. They arrive on scene at 01:48 and confirm the vehicle is only partially submerged and it is unoccupied.

With that info a lot of light and siren buttons got pushed and we slowed down to something closer to the speed limit. A few minutes later we get a confirmation the driver and its occupants are out and safe so we are canceled.

Back home to finish, actually start the drink I tried to consume earlier. Now I have a load of attitude towards dispatch, which everyone on the shift had, a heaping spoon full of adrenaline and a nice Cruzan and Coke ready to go.

That pager goes off again tonight it’s visiting the septic tank.

Here is the sat pic of Bull Run. The call was at the north end. If you look at the lake to the north it's Rose Lake where we had the doper drown standing up and smiling last year.
http://terraserver.microsoft.com/image.aspx?T=1&S=12&Z=11&X=674&Y=6579&W=1

Gary D.

Gary, with all due respect... I think you should consider hanging it up.

It seems many of your threads are titled in a similar vein.

When I person begins to dread hearing the pager it is long past time to find another line of work.

Comes with the territory.
Kinda like the soldier not wanting to go back to Iraq because there's a war going on there.

Also, in fairness to Gary, it sounds to me like he was much more annoyed at getting called out repeatedly unnecessarily because of incompetent dispatch than getting annoyed at getting called out period.

Uncle Pug:
Gary, with all due respect... I think you should consider hanging it up.

It seems many of your threads are titled in a similar vein.

When I person begins to dread hearing the pager it is long past time to find another line of work.
Morning UP;

I was just trying to add a little humor to the post.

I have always dreaded that pager going off as so many times it involves one or more deaths. Very seldom does it mean something happy. Nothing unusual. We don't use these pagers for much of anything other than the team so it's mostly bad news. It beeping usually means someone has done something very wrong.

Dispatch was FUBARed all night last night. They sent me on two calls where they reversed the suspect and the victim (major safety thing). They had me call a guy, out of state, that I had called last week (the message was that old and I had already cleared it a week ago). They had one of the other Deputies go a an unattended death and sent him to the wrong house. They sent another one to the wrong town, for a weapons violation. And to top it off they ran NCIC on the wrong guy so a wanted felon walked away. We got him later.

There was a bunch more but that will give you an idea. It wasn’t one dispatcher but all of them and all are veterans not a rookie in the bunch. It was like they were smoking something they shouldn’t have.

Our supervisors are getting with theirs today and hopefully take the pizza away for a week.

:D 23 :D

Gary D.

Wow! Somebody else knows what Cruzan is!
Have one for me, please, :) I am all out and have to find somebody going on a cruise to get the "good stuff."

Scuba_Jenny:
Wow! Somebody else knows what Cruzan is!
Have one for me, please, :) I am all out and have to find somebody going on a cruise to get the "good stuff."
We can buy it here locally. All the flavors but the spiced.

I will honor your request :D

:D

Gary D.

WE can get it locally also, but it is a different blend than the stuff straight from the islands.

I feel your pain Gary! Our pagers have nine different ring tones and they all are anoying as can be at 2am :D Mine went off the other night at around midnight, not dive related but i had just enough time to get my adrenaline going and all the way to the SAR Van when we were told to stand down!! Not that I mind a call out, but now how am I suposed to go back to sleep!!!

Back
Top Bottom