oasis quarry near denton, tx

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I live in Denton, and The Oasis is only just 20 miles from my apartment. And it's one of those sites that I really really wish the owner would put some money in to improving it.

The site is an old rock quarry, approximately 5 to 7 acres in surface area. Average depth is 18-20 feet, and most time you need to poke through the grass and dig a small hole to get that. Typical dive and at the platforms is about 15 feet. Lots of catfish, perch, and sunfish populate the site. Be sure to bring peace offerings because they don't call those fish "Pirhana Perch" for nothing.

Hours of operation are 9:00-5:00 Sat/Sun. But if there are no divers on premesis by 12:00, the diver checking you in will lock up and go home.

Vis when I've been there is 6 feet before your buddy dissapears into the gloom. But I have had a friend describe it at 10 and better.

There is no on-site air. The owner used to have a compressor there, but vandals and theives made him change his mind. Closest air fills are at Island Divers on 380 in Denton (20 minute drive one way). Best to call first since I've went there a few times and for one reason or another, couldn't get a fill.

On site facilities include a small shack for the money taker, 2 or 3 covered picnic tables, and porta-johns. No potable water.

Again, I wish this was a better site than it is.

As far as I am aware, the closest nice dive site with an on-site shop is Scuba Point out at PK.

But since you're just "in the neighborhood" at WF, feel free to meet me out at Athens or Terrel sometime.

Hey Martin, I also live in Wichita Falls and I am always looking for new dive buddies, send me a PM and mybe we can get together and dive sometime. I know Possum Kingdom pretty well and I have a boat.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom