Oahu - Waikiki Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

freeness

Registered
Reaction score
I just came back from 2 weeks in Waikiki. I did 15 dives with 3 different dive outfits and I thought I'd give you my opinion of them.

I did most of my diving with Honolulu Scuba Company. They are about 1/2 hour from the Waikiki hotels in Keehi bay. They were good, but maybe a little no frills. They have their own boat, which not every company in Oahu has. It was nice and comfortable with a good amount of space and a good platform to enter the water, though the ladder for getting back on could have been better. The ladder rails just ended too soon for me to pull myself onto the deck. It was even harder for the taller diver.

I got the feeling that business might not have been that good for them. On my 1st day it was just me and the DM. One Other day there was only 1 other diver. They did wholesale out seats to Aaron's Dive Shop twice, which was no big deal except the Aaron's DM kept trying to give me his business card.

Several times the owner Captain Mac was reluctant to go to the best sites which were about 10 minutes further away then some of the lesser sites. Once we say several Humpbacks a few hundred yards away and he wouldn't sail toward them so we could get a closer look. I guess gas is expensive. Another little nuisance, was I stored my gear on the boat for a week and Mac or one of the deck hands would rinse off the rental gear after the 2nd dive, but they never rinsed anyone's personal gear. They did usually switch tanks for me.

They did have soda, but it was some generic brand and no bottled water. There was a water cooler, but it was oddly placed and hard to get to. One day they even forgot the ice. He did serve cookies and chips between dives and some kind of mystery meat sandwich after the 2nd dive.

The DM Jamie, was excellent. He is very knowledgeable, patient, and kept a good eye on everyone.

The 2nd shop I used was AAA Diving. They also said from Keehi Bay. I went on the 3 tank Sunday dive with them They had their own boat too which was about the same as the other boat. There did not have as good a platform for entry, but their ladder was much easier to use. They do not wholesale seats ever.

The owner, Alex, is a quirky British fellow. He seemed like a good guy, but he did not go out with us that day. We went out to a totally different dive area then where Honolulu Scuba would go. Alex said since we had done all the usual dives he would send us somewhere unusual. The atmosphere was relaxed and comfortable and not rushed at all, even with the 3 dives.

AAA has soda and bottled water, but no water cooler. They also has a bucket filled with peanut butter crackers. It was a long day with 3 deep dives and there were no sandwiches or other refreshments. I wish I would have been told to bring my own lunch. AAA does use Nitrox regularly. They have computers for everyone to use and an O2 analyzer on board.

Since Alex did not go out with us I can't say how it would have been with him, but the DM that came with us had not dived the sites we went too often and was not very attentive to safety.

AAA does not take credit cards, only cash.

The last dive outfit was Captain Bruce. They sail from the West side of Oahu, about 75 minutes from the hotels. Since the drive was so far I only went out with them once.

Captain Bruce's owner is Randy. He was the nicest of the boat captains. He cheerfully greeting everyone and invited anyone that wanted up to the wheel deck. Their boat was the nicest. It's a jet powered boat with no propellers. It was fast and smooth.

On our way to the 2nd dive site, we again saw Humpbacks a few hundred yards away. Randy said this was an almost daily occurrence. To my surprise, Randy turned the boat and headed toward them. When we got 100 yards away Randy cut the engines and we just floated around. The whales got much closer and we just sat there for about 1/2 hour. Randy was not concerned about the extra time. He was just as excited as all the passengers to see the whales so close.

There was a big water cooler, chips, pineapple, sandwiches, and soda aboard. I certainly felt that they really cared about the comfort of their guests.

The only complaint I have, except for the long drive, was the DMs. There were 2 DMs for about 10 of us. The 1st DM was a real jerk. He was bossy and condescending. The 2nd DM, Cameron I think, was the best and worst I've ever had at the same time. He grabbed a reef shark's tail, stuck his hand into a hole and pulled out an octopus, one caught a puffer fish in his hands. The problem with Cameron was he swam very fast without giving a look to the divers falling behind. He went through some very buoyancy challenging swim throughs and never asked anyone about their air. It was a very shallow dive, so I think a less experienced diver might have gotten nervous.

One other note, I saw Dive Oahu's boats a few times and they were packed like sardine cans.

Overall, all 3 dive shops were good. I definitely recommend going to the West side and diving with Captain Bruce at least once just to see some sites on another part of the island.

freeness:
......Captain Bruce's owner is Randy. He was the nicest of the boat captains.
Randy is great, especially the part of the briefing where "despite what my wife say's, an aluminum tank is harder than my head":D

freeness:
...The only complaint I have, except for the long drive, was the DMs. There were 2 DMs for about 10 of us. The 1st DM was a real jerk. He was bossy and condescending.
Was DM#1 a "heavy set" guy? I wont name names in this case, but I am curious.:huh:

freeness:
The 2nd DM, Cameron I think, was the best and worst I've ever had at the same time. He grabbed a reef shark's tail, stuck his hand into a hole and pulled out an octopus, one caught a puffer fish in his hands. The problem with Cameron was he swam very fast without giving a look to the divers falling behind. He went through some very buoyancy challenging swim throughs and never asked anyone about their air. It was a very shallow dive, so I think a less experienced diver might have gotten nervous.

DM #2 Cameron is definitly a character. Whether you agree or not with his method of leading a dive, he WILL find the cool stuff. I don't think too many people have more dives than Cameron on the west side. He is about as local a guide as you will find.

Glad your trip was an overall success, sounds like you saw some great stuff and had a chance to dive a variety of sites!
Thanks for sharing, I think more people should! It keeps us true to our profession!
BTW there is alot more competition between the south side (Honolulu) shops than on the west side.
Mahalo,
ScubaDrew

Freeness,

Very nice dive report. It seemed honest and informative. I've personally only dived with one dive operation from your group of three, know one of the owners of another and have no clue about the third.

Your experiences are valuable for others. I'm happy you had some good dives and hopefully you'll come back again someday.

Chris

Cameron is the most critter finding DM on the island. Some dont like his handling of sea life but he never hurts it, just brings it out where everyone can see it.
I have a pretty good guess as to who the other DM is.

Considering the lack of adequate protected waters in Hawaii, there are pros and cons to handling marine life. Harassing octopi by catching them (gently) and passing them around does hopefully train them to hide from humans better so less of them end up on the table. Reef sharks is another story! Nobody is catching them so there is no reason to be grabbing/harrassing them. The only result of this is the shark finding another place to spend the day and then divers don't even get to see a tail.

halemano:
Considering the lack of adequate protected waters in Hawaii, there are pros and cons to handling marine life. Harassing octopi by catching them (gently) and passing them around does hopefully train them to hide from humans better so less of them end up on the table. Reef sharks is another story! Nobody is catching them so there is no reason to be grabbing/harrassing them. The only result of this is the shark finding another place to spend the day and then divers don't even get to see a tail.

Damn Dm's better stop harrassing the Octopi.....no wonder it is getting harder to find dinner............maybe the DLNR shoud issue a DM harvest tag................:D
Halemano, if waters are to be protected, it's my opinion that all groups should be banned, not just the groups you don't like..........special interest groups...........suck...........

Freeness, Thanks for the info, I will be on a deployment to Kaneohe Naval station for the Month of July. But we are staying in Waikiki, I will definitely look up Capt Bruce, I'm wondering if any of the other replies may know of more dive shops as I like to try a large Variety that when when i go places on my own dime I know who to deal with.

I will be on a deployment to Kaneohe Naval station for the Month of July, but we are staying in Waikiki.

July is high family tourist season, with the bigger surf on the South Shore (Waikiki) and mostly flat and glassy on the North Shore. The West Side can catch a little of the South swell, but the boat diving is typically really good in July.

The wrecks off the South Shore are deep enough that they are good to excellent most of the year, but the second dives can be surgie with much lower vis in the summer. My favorite dives are shore dives off the North Shore; Three Tables, Firehouse, Sharks Cove and Devils Canyon. That last one is a rare boat dive for most, but it was my backyard dive so I went a lot and took friends occasionally (long surface swim, nobody went a second time).

halemano : photos : Helm's Canyon- powered by SmugMug

halemano : photos : Three Tables- powered by SmugMug

halemano : photos : SharksCoveWildlife- powered by SmugMug

halemano : photos : SharksCoveSwimthroughs- powered by SmugMug

halemano : photos : SharksCoveNight- powered by SmugMug

Pupukea Marine Conservation District is where the other three are, and that area is very popular with residents and tourists alike in the summer, so it's pretty crowded on the good days and most weekends. Depending on the guide, those three named sites are 5 or 6 serious cavern/lava tube/swim through dives. Some divers may not feel comfortable with the often narrow overhead environment, but nearly all my charges blindly followed me after my significant briefing (trust me!).

I worked three years for Deep Ecology, in Haleiwa, starting just before Pupukea was protected. DE was instrumental in getting it protected, and they are serious about marine protection (guides not allowed to touch marine life, customers expected to do the same). They have a green boat (smells like french fries) and visit some cool sites off the North Shore also.

DE sometimes sends groups out with Captain Bruce, and the comments about Cameron and the Heavy Guide are consistent with the OP. DE guides are supposed to steer clear of Cameron's group so as to not have to watch his harassment. For what it's worth, I learned to catch octopi from a local DE guide/instructor.

Surf & Sea is the other dive op in Haleiwa, although SCUBA is just a small part of their business. They mostly sell tourist surf stuff, but also sell spear guns and fishing gear, so they are very different from Deep Ecology. When I was at DE and my friend Scuba Drew was at S&S. I'm sure Drew still does business with them, just as I sometimes lead dives for DE when visiting.

Many other dive operations visit the North Shore in the Summer, but those two are the North Shore shops.

AirforceDiver, check out Kaimana Divers with Gabe (scottitheduck as he known here). He is a dive op, without his own boat, but knows and dives with all the great captains here! And he has dives going out all over the island, so you get a great variety. Tell him what you want to do and he will do everything he can to make it happen!

Thanks, guys I appreciate the feedback. I have already sent amsg to Gabe. And crablover if you got time in the summer I enjoy bobbing on surface intervals with other mil types makes for good convo

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom