Oahu suggestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Shar34

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi gang -
We'll be visiting Oahu in October. Prior to the convention in Waikiki we'd like to spend 3-4 days diving. To reduce the hassle factor and transition time, we thought we'd just stay and dive on Oahu. (Unless someone convinces me there's something so much more spectacular on one of the other islands that we just can't miss it).

Not being familiar with the island I can't seem to figure out if a certain area would be better than another. Some of the dive outfits seem to offer hotel pickup, which would save us renting a car I guess, but I don't know if that only applies to specific hotels and only in the Waikiki area?

We are still novice divers (50-75 dives) so we prefer to go with a group and DM rather than shore dive by ourselves. We're more interested in critters than wrecks generally. Any suggestions on where to stay, where to dive, and who to dive with?

Please excuse me if I missed threads on this type of info, but I couldn't seem to find anything very specific.

Thanks!!

Sheryl

check out the hawaii o'hana regional forum (http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/hawaii-ohana/); there's some good info on waikiki, oahu, the other islands, etc. btw, the wreck diving off oahu isn't just about diving some sunken ships; several of the ships were intentionally sunk to create artificial reefs (read: underwater habitats for ocean fauna).

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

moved to main Hawaii Forum

You will see that everyone has their own ideas of who to go with. In October, you will want to do boat diving anyway. Most of the boats that go out of Kewalo Basin will do a relatively deep wreck dive and follow with a shallower reef dive. So contact a few operators and see who you feel comfortable with.

I think the Big Island has a dive you shouldn't miss - the Manta Night Dive. But that's just me.

There is plenty of shore and boat diving to do. Many of the shops do mostly boat diving and usually do a wreck dive followed by a reef dive. But if you tell the shop what you would like to do they will accommodate. October is a transition period between the swells with the swells shifting to the north shore and the south shore opening up for more diving.

Try searching dive shops on Oahu... I work for Dive Oahu, so I can tell you that we do wreck/reef in the morning and reef/reef in the afternoon 7 days a week. Fridays we also do a night boat dive. But, most of the other companies work about the same. Like they said most the boats go out of Kewalo Basin... ours does. October can be kinda rough with shore dives, just depending on how big the waves are already getting. So, I would say you'll want to do boat dives if that's do-able for you.

Thanks for the input, all. I will definitely want to do boat dives. Shore dives are challenging for me even in the best of weather (balance issues walking around with tank on my back). I might have to check out that Manta Night Dive NMF- it sounds intriguing.

I just got back from diving Oahu and Kona, and for me, it was no contest. Kona was far better. At either place, dont expect to see any big coral formations, or anything like that. The only think I liked about Oahu was I saw a whole lot of Eagle Rays and Turtles. I would say Kona had slightly more "coral", but the Manta Ray dive was one of the best dives I have ever done. There is something magical, and almost spiritual about the Mantas that cant be described, it has to be witnessed.

Thanks for the info, Bob. We are "stuck" with Oahu since I will be at a conference there (most expenses paid, I can't complain!). Can you tell me what shop you did the Manta Ray dive with? I have only seen rays from a distance and very rarely in the Caribbean, so it will be a worthwhile trip for me just to see them, if nothing else!

For what it is worth, I was in Waikiki for a week in April, dived on three days and used dive shop pick up because I did not want to rent a car. Most activities I wanted to do either provided pickup of were accessible by shuttle or bus or walking. My review is somewhere Ohana forum. Had a great time with Island Divers. They took good care of my needs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom