Oahu Shots III: Day of the Morays, large and small.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Today was a great day a Makua on the west coast, followed up by Makaha Caverns at early dusk.

The Common.

Whitemouth Moray

P4280539copy.jpg

The Not-So-Common

Viper Moray... This moray was HUGE. At least 4 feet long and backed into a very shallow indentation in the rock. This is where the Getting Close to Eels thread came in handy. Still, I didn't push it too much.

P4280581copy.jpg

The Rarely-Seen

Dwarf Moray...I was so happy to see this little guy. And he made me work for the picture. He had about four "favorite spots" around a little rock. He didn't mind my light or camera in his face, but every time i pre-focused he would slink back into the darkness, and a few seconds later would appear at on of the other locations.

P4280571copy.jpg

Then there is this fish, which I have never seen before and still haven't positively identified. If anyone knows, lemme know.

P4280568.jpg

Is is a scorpion fish???

Nice job, Harry, thanks for sharing!

Cool viper! have yet to get one in front of the camera...Lucky!

I think the fish is a decoy scorpionfish and the little moray is called a Dwarf Moray here :wink:

justleesa:
Cool viper! have yet to get one in front of the camera...Lucky!

I think the fish is a decoy scorpionfish and the little moray is called a Dwarf Moray here :wink:

Ah! you're right! thanks. Should have double checked that one.

Cool shots. I really like the viper moray. Thanks for sharing.

oh, I didn't realize that the "Hawaii's Fishes" book has that appendix that includes the decoy scorpionfish. Just got the book a few days ago. Thanks, Lisa.

Thanks for the kind words, everyone...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom