Oahu shore diving in Jan?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiverDebbie

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
We're going to Waikiki for a short 4 night trip Jan.7-11. We got a great deal, so it's a trip for our anniversary, not a dive trip, but of course our thoughts turn to diving... :wink:

We've been in Maui in Nov/Dec and had some really nice shore dives, but we also certainly had some days/sites we couldn't dive due to swells or surf. We had a lot more luck boat diving as far as conditions go.

We know Hawaii in winter can be a challenge for shore diving, and I've read that the North Shore would pretty much be a no-go for diving in winter (but absolutely want to check out the big waves!).

What could be typically expected for viz and life shore diving in Jan. at other areas of Oahu? Would it be worth it to bring our gear for probably only 1 dive somewhere like Electric Beach, or are we best to just snorkel Hanauma Bay this time around?

We can bring 2 bags at no cost with WestJet. But, how safe is leaving dive gear in the hotel room? Also, I've read a lot about not leaving valuables in your car, so does that leave our gear at risk if we hit the beach after/inbetween?

I'm torn, because Maui is still one of my fav. dive destinations to date. How does it compare to Oahu? Even just at Airport beach on Maui we saw such a wide variety of fish, eels, turtles (...and I love turtles!)...

ETA: BTW, I've never been to Oahu, and my husband hasn't been in 20+ years (when he was as a teenager and went with his family)

Last edited:
i would definitely bring gear..

on oahu.. when the north shore is up.. the south is usually down.

there's plenty of diving to be done from the south and east shores in the winter..
both shore and boat..

call matt at island divers hawaii:
Hawaii Scuba Diving with Island Divers Hawaii - Honolulu, Oahu, Hawaii, Waikiki
he's got a 50 foot boat that launches out of hawaii kai to some awesome reefs and wrecks..
and viz is often over 100 feet!

also, pm me when it gets closer.. i could guide you through the lanai lookout and halona blowhole shore-dives.
aloha

I haven't done Lanai Lookout but have several buddies who have and they say it is awesome. If you have someone willing to take you there and assist you with doing that dive/guiding you, I would go for it! Not for the faint of heart, though. I walked it just to check out the logistics and can see how it would definitely be an endurance exercise. But having said that, everyone I know who has done it just loves it and considers it a favorite or THE favorite.

Also, have had buddies who dove with Matt/Island Divers and had nothing but positive experiences. Good luck and happy diving to you!

whew... no one was responding and I was worried I'd offended, maybe by mentioning a concern about gear being stolen. I'm not concerned really. I'd just read some warnings on another forum. But really, theft is a risk where ever you go in the world.

i would definitely bring gear..

on oahu.. when the north shore is up.. the south is usually down.

there's plenty of diving to be done from the south and east shores in the winter..
both shore and boat..

call matt at island divers hawaii:
Hawaii Scuba Diving with Island Divers Hawaii - Honolulu, Oahu, Hawaii, Waikiki
he's got a 50 foot boat that launches out of hawaii kai to some awesome reefs and wrecks..
and viz is often over 100 feet!

also, pm me when it gets closer.. i could guide you through the lanai lookout and halona blowhole shore-dives.
aloha

Thanks! That's so nice of you! People in Hawaii are always so friendly. I met up with a guy in Maui who showed me some great shore diving and was a keen buddy until my now husband got there.... wait... that doesn't sound so good, does it?!!! LOL! hey... he knew... besides, he was in Bonaire without me.

Thanks also for the links. I will definitely check them out....
That's it... I know we'll bring our gear and do at least one dive! :wink:

Hey Deb,
Be very careful of the above suggested shore dives. They are great dives but you must be a great diver in excellent shape. You can basically forget the north shore dives like MAKAHA, ELECTRIC BEACH, SHARKS COVE, fire station, haliewa trench or three tables in the winter months. The south shore off waikiki beach will be calm and there are a few decent wreck dives to be had but do check with Matt at Island divers because he occasionally does some real special dives and the sea fox is a very comfortable boat. The China wall drift dive and a few other drifts are well worth the trip too. You might want to check with Nick at waikiki diving on Nahua st. to see what they are up to at the time you come, they dive moanaloa bay.

Hey Deb,
Be very careful of the above suggested shore dives. They are great dives but you must be a great diver in excellent shape. You can basically forget the north shore dives like MAKAHA, ELECTRIC BEACH, SHARKS COVE, fire station, haliewa trench or three tables in the winter months. The south shore off waikiki beach will be calm and there are a few decent wreck dives to be had but do check with Matt at Island divers because he occasionally does some real special dives and the sea fox is a very comfortable boat. The China wall drift dive and a few other drifts are well worth the trip too. You might want to check with Nick at waikiki diving on Nahua st. to see what they are up to at the time you come, they dive moanaloa bay.

Shore diving can be tough this time of year.....

Deb mentioned Makaha and Electric Beach however are not on the North Shore. They are located on the West Shore of Oahu and can be dived this time of year. It's important you take a look at the surf report before you go..... or hire a local guide.

Surf News Network

Usually the best info on surf..... if all else fails, we dive some great wrecks everyday!

G

Just did 2 days of boat diving with Island Divers. They run a great shop and boat. We dove the Corsair, Spitting Caves, Fantasy Reef and the Big Barge. Seas were 2-4 feet, but the boat was pretty comfortable. We also did a shore dive at Electric Beach. The entry was pretty easy (my first real shore dive). There is a lot written about crime here, but we didn't have any problem. We dove Electric Beach last Friday, 7 Nov. about 11 am. And Electric Beach is on the west side of the island, not the North shore. There was hardly any surf at all.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom