Oahu in Nov. - Military discounts?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AlaskaDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
Eagle River, Alaska -> moved to Cape Cod, Mass
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I'm looking into coming to Oahu for a week at the end of November since the flights from Alaska are inexpensive to Hawaii. My husband (retired Army) and I will stay at the Haleakoa military resort in Waikiki. We are both experienced divers and are interested in a good boat operator or dive shop to use for the week. I'm uncertain as to whether or not we should rent a car. Parking has been in the past a nightmare in Waikiki and very expensive. We only used it to get to the dive sites and back. Didn't seem worth it. I'm looking for a good boat operator who could offer us a military discount and/or a pickup/drop off at the hotel. Any suggestions?

Skip the car.

Operators will pick you up.

Ocean Concepts does millitary discounts....other operators might compete if you call them and ask for a weekly special. I know AAA diving is doing free Nitrox, for example.
Many operators offer some packages...

Halekoa seems like a very nice hotel (I have not seen the rooms, but the location and bar is very pretty)

Thanks Catherine. I've already sent emails to those two operators asking for more details. Haleakoa is a nice place and had a nice luau and evening entertainment. Rooms have all the amenities and are (visibly) roach-free. We've always stayed there because it it so inexpensive- based on military rank. Location is excellent for walking around town. There is a small sundries store on the premises too with the usual touristy stuff just at lower prices.

Contact fishboy as well -- he's with the Sea Lancers (or go to http://www.sealancers.org) and look at their qualifications. My cousin (Col AFA, ret'd) say they're they way to go if you can get in with them. All military / DOD folks and they cut you a deal.

Yep...OC will give ya a discount. If you go with them....go the day they do Land of Oz.

Like Rugbydiver said, check out our website, we may have a club dive scheduled for the weekend you are here. No one will carry your tanks for you (I may if I see some cash), but with the money you save on the dives ($20 vice $160ish for 2 divers) you can get yourself a nice dinner. You would also need a temporary membership (anywhere from $15-45 depending on how much gear you need), but you won't need to rent gear or pay for air if you want to do a couple of shore dives.

Just a side note, I would pay a premium to dive with anyone besides OC.

The only thing I found "odd" about OC was its safety briefing at the shop. Other than that.....no problems with boat or DMs.

fishb0y:
Just a side note, I would pay a premium to dive with anyone besides OC.

Would you mind going into this a little? I got certified through them and promptly started going to another shop. And I paid more at the other shop, but felt it was worth it. My reason was customer service that I didn't feel was up to par, just curious what yours was.

OC has a tendency to deal with their local customers as if they were tourists... high prices and poor return customer service. I find that some of their employees have misconceptions about the nitrox fill process (tried to get O2 clean air in a set of O2 clean doubles and got turned away... I should have said I need EAN21)

Also a while back OC tried to get my dive club shut down (I guess it is tough to compete with a group of people who offer $5 boat dives even though we sell no gear). Its kinda funny that a lot of local dive shops say we have bad air, even though we have our air tested at the same place as them.

Back
Top Bottom