O'ahu in Nov 2004.. diving and more

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The sound of the sub is like a mosquito on steroids.

man, I remember when I was that excited to go diving. Oh, wait. That was just 2 weeks ago!!! I'm jonesing hard over here in Bangkok. 4 more days!

whitedragon13:
man, I remember when I was that excited to go diving. Oh, wait. That was just 2 weeks ago!!! I'm jonesing hard over here in Bangkok. 4 more days!

now only THREE more days!

and i suppose i'm just an excited kinda gal lately.. life is good right now so it's easy to be excited. and YES! i am aware how lucky i am to be feelin this way

justleesa:
Reef Trekkers usually uses the Kahala Kai (rent seats) for their dives and they sometimes do the YO, so you might be lucky. I would say from the times that I have been there I have seen a sub about 80%+ of the time and I guess that the chances the other way are the same. I do almost every time hear the sub. It is an electrical humming sound. One thing my SO always says : Do not touch the Sub! Do not get too close to the sub as it cannot break very well. One time a guest didn't listen and caught the sub for a ride... you can imagine that Atlantis didn't like that very much.

and then Hawaii, here I come!!

Changed our dives from Reef Trekkers to AAA Diving. The guys at Reef Trekkers didn't seem too excited to talk with me while Alex at AAA was.
I'm popping antihistimenes like crazy cause THIS MORNING I wake up with a case of the sniffles! but there is no way that's going to interfere. i almost called in to work this morning to try every home remedy i could think of :D but i didnt... i'm a dedicated employee (seeing as how that's where i get my paycheck to pay for the trip, i'd better be!) :confined:

i dont remember where i heard or read it, but someone suggested if you want to experience a real luau, go to a local church or something instead of the commercial luaus like Paradise Cove.

do you have any suggestions?

Oahu was great! I realize Waikiki is not the pristine beach, but it was beautiful to me, especially the fountains and statues and fauna and there is always something going on. It was easy enough to find our way around and even over to the West side and the North Shore and back again to the East side. The weather was great, for us anyway. Even when it rained, it didn’t rain long or hard enough to deter any of our plans. My dive buddy is cold natured and I’m hot natured so just as it would be hot and sunny and I would begin to melt, the rain and breeze would come thru.
The submarine ride was cool, especially watching it surface before we got on, but the helicopter tour was breathtaking. We saw the whole island of O’ahu with the mountains, shorelines, waterfalls and the Dole pineapple plantation and at one point, flew the same route the Japanese took when they bombed Pearl Harbor.
The scuba diving was great. We saw sea turtles every single dive and plenty of spotted eagle rays on each wreck dive. We dove four different ship wrecks and three different reefs, one called Turtle Caverns because there are caverns to swim thru and turtles are abundant there.
The Paradise Cove luau was lots of fun, even from the beginning of our bus ride on the way TO the luau! HA! There were of course half-nekkid hula guys but they were too young, so I had to leave them alone :wink: And of course, there were beautiful hula girls as well. They put on quite a show, and the pre-show games and crafts were interesting.
The drive to Sea Life Park was gorgeous landscape and beautiful waves crashing into the rocky shorelines. We did the snuba thing in the Sea Life Park aquarium which was pretty fun. It’s always a kick to wave at the kids on the other side of the glass. Then we snorkeled in the Hawaiian Brown Sting Ray tank and also did the Dolphin Encounter complete with a dorsal fin ride across the water.
We rented a car for 2 days and went to the North Shore for our Shark Cage adventure. Never did find Dick’s Dive Shop, but did manage to find the Banzai Pipeline beach where they have the surfing contests. Got lost on the way back but stumbled onto the Dole pineapple plantation and they gave us directions (and PINEAPPLE UPSIDE DOWN CAKE) to get back on track.
In between all of that, we managed to go shopping and walking and sightseeing just around Waikiki Beach.
And after everyone told us to go to Maui and how disappointed we’d be with Waikiki, we had a fantastic time and met a couple who’d talked with another lady from Louisiana who’d gone to Maui and had a terrible time! HA! I know it was merely coincidence and that we could have easily been the unfortunate ones having the bad time, but for every vacation that someone had in Waikiki where they were disappointed, .... we had their good time.
It almost makes me afraid to go on vacation ever again because this one went so well, my next vacation could be a disaster! LOL *almost* but not quite so I will return someday :D

and you didn't give me a call for a night on the town?? :bawling:

justleesa:
and you didn't give me a call for a night on the town?? :bawling:

:11: OH MY GOD!!! i should have! altho, you would have had to get us back to our hotel by 7:45pm each night cause we were both exhausted and in the bed by 8:00pm! ha! some party animals, eh??

well, we just have to come back and finish all those things on the list that we didn't have time to work in and we'll call you up for that night .. or dusk on the town :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom