Oahu in Feb

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GA Under Water

Divemaster
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
Ok so the Wife and I are comming to Oahu in late Febuary - early March. How do you all "get together" Any Scubaboard gatherings planned? What is there to see and Do. We will be camped out at Makaha, about 50 min north of Wiakiki from what I have read. This trip is why we finally got certified so I am looking for other buddies to possibly go diving with. Already have a Day planned with a Charter but may have more time open :D

anyone heard of Captian Bruce? that is the Dive charter near Makaha that we are planning to go with.

camped out at Makaha

not literally, I hope. Lots of drug addicts out there. Stuff gets stolen too, so be aware.

Captain Bruce's is okay...they have a jet boat, nice snacks. Randy, the owner is very reasonable.

Most of the SB people I know live a solid hour from there. Most of our traffic lies between Honolulu and out there, so it's tough to get out there from the Hawaii Kai, Kahala side.

I would like to be more positive, the truth is we have had many cars broken into and even stolen out there and some of us that used to shore dive out that way don't go too much anymore. Unless I am wrong...let's see what others say about it.

Makaha caverns is beautiful and the viz has been outstanding lately.

if you call Captain John Melino (he drives for almost everybody), he lives out there and is a fun person. 808 754 2602. He would be a good one to get the scoop from.

Nah, we aren't Literally Camping. We are in the Princess Condos on Lahilahi just north of . . . Well, you know where it is. We'll have gated access and direct access to the beach from the building and FOBs. You said in a PM that Shore Diving isn't going to happen :( would ROCK to walk out the back door and down the beach with my gear already on :)

We'll be out there from the 22nd - 2nd of March. We'll have a rental car. Let me know if there are any get togethers. It's always nice to meet Scubaboard folks.

No...you could shore dive. Just be careful. Seriously, I did not mean that.

Just don't go too far and get caught in the current. Stay close, have somebody keep an eye out, etc. take a SMB.

I just worry about people used to calmer waters, like the Caribbean. You get those who would never dare solo, when shore diving can be even worse, in my book, if you can't get back. I like having a boat captain tracking me....

If you check the tide, use a SMB, you will be fine. And..you won't be leaving a car, so you are good to go. IF the conditions cooperate. LOTS of turtles, pretty shallow too. Don't go into lava tubes with surge, etc.

One day, you should try and do some wrecks. AAA diving does a three tanker on the weekends, which is a lot of bang for the money and travel time. Sea Tiger, YO257, and the San Pedro are very nice!

:) Will do. might just be able to see most with a snorlk out there anyhow. :)

Captain Bruce is a very fun outfit. They keep their diver~guide ratios small. If the surf is cooperating (meaning there isn't any) they'll take you to Makaha Caverns (#9 dive site in the world, but I don't know why; its good, but not THAT good). Plenty of other sites out there, too.

For South Shore diving (Sea Tiger, YO257/San Pedro) you can check out:
- Honolulu Dive Company, on the Moemac
- Island Divers Hawaii, on the Kahala Kai and Au Kai
- Oahu Dive Center, on Moemac, or Enzo

I called John Melino...he says feel free to call him.

He gets around, actually drives the shark cage boat too.

You can ask him anything, he doesn't care who you dive with and won't hustle you.

ooooooooooooooooooooo Shark Cage :) now THAT sounds like something to play in. then again who has seen the SCUBA commercial for Insurance.

Diver is in the Cage and Sharks get too aggressive so he brings out the Gun and they hit the cage this knocks him off balance and he fires the gun the charge goes straight up and hit the boat and the boat sinks dragging him down. Chuckle chuckle if you don't dive. kind of an eye opener if you do LOL.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BZDDuYvwIU

Bruce is offering $100 dive with no rental gear other than weights and Tank. $110 if you need rental gear. This is for One day 2 dives. Sounded pretty reasonable to me. What do you locals think?

GA Under Water:
Bruce is offering $100 dive with no rental gear other than weights and Tank. $110 if you need rental gear. This is for One day 2 dives. Sounded pretty reasonable to me. What do you locals think?

That's about the going rate, give or take a few dollars for dive operators here.

Having a car, I assume you plan to spend at least some time driving around the island. I would caution you to not attempt to drive into town on a weekday before 8:00/8:30 a.m. and back to your condo anytime between 4:30 - 5:30 p.m. - you'll just make yourself miserable if you do.

Thanks for the heads up. I drive Atlanta Traffic everyday I surely do NOT want to get caught in traffic there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom