Oahu Diving with Gabe, March 14-16

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

selo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
A quick note to thank Gabe for three fantastic days of diving. Work has prevented me from posting for two weeks but I think it is better late than never.

I stayed in Waikiki Beach; Gabe picked me up from the hotel in the morning and after picking up one more person or two, we went to get the tanks, and then to the harbor. This would take all of 10-15 minutes. We happened to be going out on a catamaran, reasonably small number of divers, and other intructors with small groups like us. We were Gabe, me, plus two or three more people.

March 14 was Sea Tiger, which is about 10-15 minutes from the harbor. All three days were sunny with surface temps about 77. Temperature at 87 feet was 75. Sea Tiger is about 170 feet, sitting upright at 80-120 ft. We saw a large turtle, and two eagle rays, in addition to the typical Hawaii reef fish. The second dive was at a nearby reef, a shallow dive (max depth 56 ft, but temp at 72 now). A large green moray eel and two spotted morays were seen.

On March 15th, we went to YO-257. We went down the line, immediately greeted by a turtle, after exploring the wreck a bit, swam to San Pedro nearby. We did some simple swim throughs, swam back to YO-257. On the way, I hovered for a couple of minutes, taking in the beuatiful scene with two wrecks side by side. I was still grinning as I made way back to YO-257 but then we saw a school of barracudas above the YO. Having also seen an octopus, a scorpion fish, and spotted moray eels on the wrecks, this was just the icing on the cake.

We did our safety interval, went up the line, and as I surfaced, I noticed the beautiful skylines of Waikiki Beach hotels and downtown Honolulu buildings, on a perfectly sunny mid-morning. Nice.:D The second dive of the day brought more whitemouth spotted morays, an eagle ray that was really close by, turtles, etc.

On March 16, we went back to the Sea Tiger. The viz was about 75 ft. More turtles, whitemouth morays, green morays, a spotted eagle ray. The second dive was at the Horse Shoe reef. Did I mention turtles, eels, octopus?

I would like to thank Gabe for all his arrangements, service and guidance. I am already looking forward getting back to Oahu next year for some more diving.

Selo

ps Gabe: can you send an e-mail to Spencer to see if he has the video of the turtle that did a swim-by over my head?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom