Oahu Dive Shops to teach for?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaAndDreams

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Good morning,

I am employed by the government and will be be moving to Oahu at the end of this month. On the side I have been running a scuba business (teaching) on a part time basis while I have been living in California over the last 5 years. Now I am faced with either continuing what I was doing here and continue to teach independantly (PADI MSDT/TDI Adv Nitrox/Deco Instr) or seeing if it is possible to teach for a shop in Oahu on a part time basis. Granted due to my occupation my schedule is somewhat fluid.

So my questions boil down to this: Has anyone here been in a similar situation, and know if there are any dive shops on oahu that employ part time instructors. If so, who and what do you know about the dive shop? The major constraint I have is that I am very much into quality instruction and do not like to be part of an organization/shop that rushes students through training.

I am also interested in furthering my technical diving while I am in oahu and would like recommendations for a Trimix instructor (any organization) as I have yet to get my official c-card for such a course--additionally I am assuming that the exposure protection for technical dives can still be accomlished with neoprene (3/5 mm) in oahu (sorry I have to ask, as I am getting some confliciting info over here on the mainland).

Thanks for your time!

Sherman Johns

For your Trimix course, try Island Divers. They have entry level and advanced level Trimix courses available and they are located on Hickam.

you need to call Ocean Concepts. they work with military all the time, they know our schedules and work with them. They are fantastic people and always need more instructors that know what they are doing.
I normally work with Liz at the Rainbow Bay Marina location she will get you in touch with the right people.
http://www.oceanconcepts.com/

I personally would avoid Ocean Concepts. If you want to continue your career and try some tech diving, definitely talk to Island Divers. A couple of shops may say they have a tech program, but none remotely come close. They have a new store in Hawaii Kai and on Hickam AFB. A lot more local/military friendly than other shops associate with the military.

As far as exposure protection goes, you will see the gambit from 3mil to dry-suit, it all depends on your tolerance with the cold. In the winter I will dive a 3mil w/ a chicken vest & attached hood. Days like today I can easily get away with just my 3mil.

Jo at Island Divers is the guy to talk to. While the classes are TDI, we leans strongly towards DIR.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom