Question Oahu CCR charters/shops?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

azstinger11

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi All,

Looking to hit Oahu in early July. We are trying to find a shop that will let us do longer recreational profiles (so no deco, but not capped at coming up when people run out of air in their AL80s). We know Island divers lets CCRs on the boat, and currently they are the leading contender, but curious if anyone else has any suggestions? To be clear we are just Air Dil CCR certified, actually doing this trip to rack up additional hours in advance of our helitrox course later in July.

You could contact Mike at Underwater Oahu or Ray with Ruckus Sportfishing and Diving. Best of luck!
Thanks for the reply! Will do!

Yes, you can bring a CCR on the boat. CCR divers have been a mixed bag for us over the last 20 years. Most have been on it. Got their gear on the boat early, breath ups and checks done, and we let them hit the water first and get out last. First dive is usually a wreck, so that is where you can really get some extra time. Second dive we do a drift usually (I am pretty sure we are the only Oahu op that does this), here it is a little harder to get you extra time. Bring an SMB and talk to the captain about deploying it when everyone else comes up, we can get you the 15 minutes that it takes everyone to get on board.

The "other" rebreather divers are the ones with gear all over the boat, still fiddling with gear with all the OC people in the water, they want to do a "technical" profile. Sigh.

You are welcome, but just have to realize it is an OC boat, mostly on an OC schedule. We can stretch but not break the normal schedule.

If I were you this is what I would do. Goto the Oahu CCR FB group. Ask a CCR diver that is also a dive professional there to book the Ruckus for you and ofter to pay for their seats on the boat and lunch. They should be able to get Ray at Ruckus to agree to use of one his six pax boats to go on a longer CCR dive.

I could also hire a CCR dive and dive pro with a scooter to get a shore dive on the Sea Tiger. Scooter rental and guide think we have $250 down as the price, $100 more per extra scooter. These dives are usually 2 hours.

My Honolulu Scuba Company shop near Kewalo Basin can do O2 fills and we have some O2 and dil bottles around. We currently can't get He.

Get a hold of me by email if you need help, I'm infrequent on SB.
Cheers,
Matt

Back
Top Bottom