Oahu 12/03/2007 Dive Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

selo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I called Randy (Captain Bruce) weeks in advance, got my spot on his boat for three days 12/3-5, even arranged for a Nitrox class. He suggested I get the material ahead of time, do my reading, studying, which I did.

Before this trip, I did almost all of my 40+ dives within the last year at Catalina Island just southwest of Los Angeles in 5 mm hooded vest + 7/5 full wetsuit.

Monday at 7 am, Alan picked me up. About one hour drive to the harbour, nice conversation about the economics and demographics of Oahu. There are 7 divers on the boat. Randy gives a nice briefing, we go to Mahi, with divemasters Alan, Christi and Cameron. Temperature at depth (max 90 fsw) was 74. I was very comfy in a 3 mm full suit. Visibility was 50-60 ft, with an eagle ray hovering nearby. After the first dive, we saw lots of dolphins on the way to the second dive site, the 5-in Reef, full of ammunition from WWII still at the bottom. Visibility was down to about 20-30 ft, shallower dive, but nice bottom time as warm water helped me improve my air consumption. I also got a chance to try out my bp/w rig. I love it.

The seas were a bit rough, though, 4 ft+ swells and some wind, and one of the younger divers went code green.

Ready for the second day bright and early, and got the call at 6:50 AM that it is a no go. The storm had worked its way in and it was miserable. Very high winds just made it unsafe. I spent the day working and hoped the storm would pass over, but it got worse, and the dive was also canceled on Wednesday. Just bad timing on my part. I got to see part of North Shore (although their power was out, beaches closed to public, etc.).

So, I had planned for 3 days of diving, but only had one day. It was still a nice trip. Randy refunded the canceled dive fees, made a trip to my hotel during bad weather to bring back my gear, and made the experience better. I would not hesitate to go to him again. Thanks Randy.

What a beautiful island. I will go back this summer and dive some more.

Selo

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom