O2 Toxicity in deco question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We don't have much experimental data on CNS oxygen toxicity above 1.6 atm; the NOAA tables only go up to 1.6 atm. It's easy to temporarily exceed that value if you drop down to 71 ft while breathing 50%, or 21 ft while breathing 100%. So, without hard data, modern dive computers have resorted to various arbitrary hacks which don't necessarily align to physiological reality. Don't take them too seriously. Finish your deco. Maintain good buoyancy control and err on the side of slightly shallower instead of slightly deeper. But do take occasional back gas breaks if the deco plan calls for more than about 20 minutes on 100% oxygen; this is not so much for CNS issues but rather to maintain lung vital capacity.

100% doesn't mean that is as far as you can go. I still like the last helicoptor ride I took. The tachometer reads in percent, not RPM. Take off speed is something like 104%.
NASA also ran the Space Shuttle main engines at 104% of rated thrust.

We don't have much experimental data on CNS oxygen toxicity above 1.6 atm

The US and Royal Navies have a great deal of data. The Royal Navy's limit was 3.0 ATA at the start of World War II and the in-water limit was 2.0 ATA for around 50 years in both navies. The NEDU had a large body of work to draw on developing Treatment Tables 5 & 6 which run at 2.82 ATA. I can't remember from reading old manuals but I believe these are the tables where air breaks were introduced.

1661782119322.png

We don't have much experimental data on CNS oxygen toxicity above 1.6 atm; the NOAA tables only go up to 1.6 atm. It's easy to temporarily exceed that value if you drop down to 71 ft while breathing 50%, or 21 ft while breathing 100%.

You may want to recheck your numbers and sources for most of this statement. 😉

Great answers thank you, appreciate the replies. I do try to dive safely and responsibly so I'm happy to hear that the number isn't a life or death thing. First time I've ever had that long a deco run and seen my CNS go up.

gradual reduction of po2 as you ascend
How do you go about that? Just a slow ascent? Or switching to lower oxygen content gas like 50% (if you are carrying it)?

How do you go about that? Just a slow ascent? Or switching to lower oxygen content gas like 50% (if you are carrying it)?
On OC or pscr just ascending reduces the po2. Ccr dudes can spike and let it decay on the way up. They can speak to the techniques they use.

Back
Top Bottom