O2 tank explosion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No. Again, Oxygen alone is NOT explosive and will NOT burn. It's not the O2 that burns, it's the fuel that burns. O2 is an Oxydizer and a required part of combustion. Go back to your elementary school science class where you lit some paper in a jar and then covered the top. In a couple of seconds, the fire consumes all of the O2 in the jar and combustion ceases.

-Charles

OXYGEN/OXIDIZING GASES
Oxygen and gas mixtures that contain
large quantities of oxygen react chemically
with organic materials to produce heat.
This reaction can occur with explosive violence.
Thus, all combustible materials and
potential sources of ignition should be kept
away from oxygen or gas mixtures that
contain high concentrations of oxygen.
Substances that are normally considered
noncombustible can burn in the presence
of oxygen as well. The following precautions
should be considered when designing
a system that will handle oxygen.

•Use copper or austenitic stainless
steel piping for oxygen service systems.

•Never permit oil, grease or other
combustible substances to come in contact
with equipment used for oxidizing gases.

•Use oxygen regulators only for oxygen
service. Using an oxygen regulator
with other gases may cause hydrocarbon
contamination, rendering the regulator
unfit for further oxygen use.

•Remove all combustible material
from oxygen supply piping systems and
containers before placing the systems or
containers into service.

•When using fuel/oxygen systems,
oxygen backflow prevention, flashback
prevention and excessive backpressure
control devices should be installed to prevent
the cross mixing of oxygen and the
fuel source.

•Purge the system using nitrogen, carbon
dioxide or oil-free air. Refer to the
Compressed Gas Assn.’s pamphlets (bulletins
CGA C-1 through C-19) for guidance
when cleaning oxygen systems.
Dixon, David P., Compressed Gases & Systems, Professional Safety Magazine, American Society of Safety Engineers, Issue 11, 2001

SeaRat

And please remember that this thread was to started out of concern for Rick and Cindy. Rick has a long and painful road ahead of him and will be in the hospital for, at least, the next 2-3 months. With no income coming in and Cindy not even being able to stay at the much destroyed house, please find it in your hearts to donate something to them either through me or their Paypal 'Get Well Rick' link elsewhere in this thread.
Thank you,
Steve

Have we got any recent updates?

Thats wrong, the DOT Specifies that at time of Hydro, 6351-T6 Alloy tanks will recieve a Eddy Current test. After passing the Hydro, and EC the letters VE will be stamped after the Hydro Retest stamp. I am not at my shop right now, but if people want, later I can dig through 49CFR and find the exact reference number.

This is correct. If you have the equipment capable of Eddy Current testing a 6061 alloy tank (VisPlus3 for example) you can stamp it with a VE after the hydro provided you actually completed the test. But assuming the regulations were followed the tank would have not been hydroed if it didn't get an eddy current test prior.

BTW, akdeepdiver do you do hydrotesting?

This is correct. If you have the equipment capable of Eddy Current testing a 6061 alloy tank (VisPlus3 for example) you can stamp it with a VE after the hydro provided you actually completed the test. But assuming the regulations were followed the tank would have not been hydroed if it didn't get an eddy current test prior.

BTW, akdeepdiver do you do hydrotesting?
Wait, excuse me - but your are talking about two different alloys there? I confuse easily.

I know that 6351 tanks can be VE inspected for approval to keep using, but after a google search and reading some discussions and warnings - I'd keep the valve and sell the scrap. It is surprising to me that it's sustained load that causes problems, not filling, but also read about an aluminum alloy 5283 that exploded while sitting inside a garage.

OXYGEN/OXIDIZING GASES

(A bunch of other stuff I already know)

Dixon, David P., Compressed Gases & Systems, Professional Safety Magazine, American Society of Safety Engineers, Issue 11, 2001

So what is the point you're making, Searat? None of this refutes any of the basic laws of chemistry and combustion. I cannot believe how simple this is and yet, every other post here tries to make O2 out as some kind of explosive agent. It is not. It does not burn on it's own. It does not spontaneously cause combustion unless it's brought into contact with some very specific and difficult to obtain substances (such as Alkali metals).

I'm going to go back to my theory from several pages ago. The tank had some kind of undetected structural flaw that caused it to rupture on impact. The split caused a very sudden release of compressed gas which wrecked the garage and injured the victim. The subsequent fire was most likely caused by the flame in the water heater burning at far beyond it's normal temperature due to the O2 rich environment.

-Charles

Wait, excuse me - but your are talking about two different alloys there? I confuse easily.

I know that 6351 tanks can be VE inspected for approval to keep using, but after a google search and reading some discussions and warnings - I'd keep the valve and sell the scrap. It is surprising to me that it's sustained load that causes problems, not filling, but also read about an aluminum alloy 5283 that exploded while sitting inside a garage.

You HAVE to complete an Eddy Current test on a 6351 tank and stamp it with a VE. It is optional to eddy current a 6061 tank and stamp it with a VE but you don't have to.

Charles,

Please see my PM.

John

Last edited:
Once again, this thread is out of concern for Rick and Cindy who are struggling right now. For those who are concerned, they are currently and slowly reducing the amount of sedation and have performed several skin grafts. There is a lot of pain involved and you can imagine how difficult this is for them. Rick's sole income was from his production company and filming which he obviously can not now do but, hopefully, after many months of recovery will get back to. For now, please feel free to donate either through me or through PayPal at Get Well Rick

All other discussions upon the physics of explosions are good for education but, hey guys, keep things civil. No flaming should be on any forum.
Steve

There have also not been any updates on the exact cause at this point. Several of the involved parties have brought in experts and are working through the evidence. Unfortunately this is going to take quite a while to sort out.

BTW for folks who have not seen Rick and Cindy's work folks here are doing a Fundraiser by selling some of their photographs and posters. Here is a link:

Fundraiser for Cindy and Rick » Get Well Rick

Ed

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom