O2 tank explosion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As a matter of fact I do....Eddy current testing be it by Visual Eddy or one of the Visual Plus machines (I run a Visual Plus 3) is only on the threads itself. It has a threaded probe that you run down in the threads to the bottom and then it reads on the way out. The Luxfer tanks have relatively short threads but on some of the WK tanks the threads are so deep none of the manufacturers of these machines make a probe that goes to the bottom. From my standpoint it dosen't look like a SLC crack as the threads are intact.

Thanks for your clarification.
Why would the term "sustained load cracks" be confined/restricted/apply to only the threaded neck area of the tank? I would have guessed that they could appear anywhere on the tank including body and shoulder.

As its applied, having had an eddy-current test would not have prevented this accident anyway.

Last edited:
I'm sure that everyone is learning something as a result of this horrible accident but the bottom line is that it was just that, an accidental knocking over of a tank that caused the explosion and resulted in Rick's being in the hospital for, at least the next 2 months, and Cindy suffering from the explosion as well. The house also suffered major damage and Cindy is now staying elsewhere. I urge you all to, please, make even the smallest of donations to Rick and Cindy either through me or via paypal on their Get Well site found in a past posting within this thread. Rick's sole income was his Nautilus Productions and nothing is coming in obviously right now. They could use the help and I hope that some of you will just donate whatever you can.
Steve

The accelerated oxidation of a high level of O2 creates heat in the chemical reaction itself. The accumulation of heat at a grater rate than it is capable of dissipating it is the source of heat that causes the ignition. It does not require an outside source to provide ignition as it does it by itself.

Agreed. I didn't mean to suggest that they had to be independent. That said, there has to be some source of heat to raise the fuel to it's ignition point.

They did not do that experiment in an elevated O2 environment so It doesn't really apply here. That experiment could have drastically different results if it were preformed in a high O2 environment.

Agreed, but the physics don't change. It's possible that in 100% O2 the cigarette could burn hot enough and fast enough to ignite the gasoline, however.

Concerning the Mythbusters episode, I'll have to look that up. But there is a concept of Lower Explosive Limit (LEL) and Upper Explosive Limit (UEL) for any gaseous hydrocardon or material. The LEL is the lower limit below which the vapor will not ignite, as there is not enough fuel to burn. The LEL is the limit above which there is too much fuel and not enoughoxygen in the mixture to have

We're starting to confuse two different things here. "Explosion" vs. "Burn." The lit cigarette dropped into the toilet of gasoline doesn't set it on fire because the cigarette burns at a temperature below the ignition point of the fuel. True enough, if the environment was 100% O2 plus the fuel, it's possible that the tobacco/paper mix could have reacted quickly enough to hit the ignition point of the gasoline. Hella unlikely scenario, but I suppose it's possible.

Under these conditions, titanium will "spontaneously combust". That means it will burst into flames even when nobody "lights it". Why? Because of the oxidation. Oxidation causes heat and in some cases, like described above, the oxidation creates so much *intrinsic* heat that the related chemical reactions are self-propagating.

Agreed, but it is VERY difficult to make this happen. We tried this in my senior chemistry class for weeks. Oxidation doesn't produce very much heat.

Some things will simply burst into flames at room temperature if there is enough O2 and the right conditions available..... that's a simple fact.

Agree again. Those "right condition" must include some source of heat. Be it a spark, a flame, or even perfect conditions for combustion due to oxidation.

a combustion occured INSIDE of the bottle that then subsequently ruptured

If the cylinder contained 100% O2 then this would be impossible. O2 doesn't explode or even burn. Any welder can tell you this with an acetylene torch. You cannot turn on the O2 alone and spark a flame on the end of the torch. It'll never light without a source of fuel.

aluminum burns very hot and is used in pyrotechnics(fireworks), and in thermite.

True, but you're describing aluminum in a very fine powder form, not something as rigid as a tank wall.

8. oils on a concrete floor can combust when a stream of high pressure oxygen hit them.

No, it can't. There absolutely MUST be some ignition source. Just hitting oil with O2 will not cause combustion.

Certain materials can spontaneously combust in the presence of pure oxygen, like perhaps the clothing on his back became saturated with oxygen, if not spontaenous, an already existing heat source cause them to ignite, since its likely not all the oxygen was consumed in the initial blast.

True but you most certainly would not make clothing out of any of these materials. They're highly volatile, even in plain Air.

Gang, please understand what I'm trying to accomplish here. There is a lot of misinformation in this thread probably due to silly Hollywood effects. We all agree that there was an explosion and a subsequent fire. It's the causes that are still a mystery.

I can only reason that the tank ruptured on impact but wow, that sure seems unlikely. I've seen dozens of Scuba tanks dropped, hit, knocked over, it happens all the time. They don't rupture. Again, Mythbusters tried this over and over. They repeatedly shot an AL80 with a rifle from various angles and it never did rupture. If it did, I can see how the explosive decompression of the tank could have wrecked his hand and done the explosive damage to the garage. Then the fire started due to the increased amount of O2 in the space.

-Charles

I can only reason that the tank ruptured on impact but wow, that sure seems unlikely. I've seen dozens of Scuba tanks dropped, hit, knocked over, it happens all the time. They don't rupture. Again, Mythbusters tried this over and over. They repeatedly shot an AL80 with a rifle from various angles and it never did rupture. If it did, I can see how the explosive decompression of the tank could have wrecked his hand and done the explosive damage to the garage. Then the fire started due to the increased amount of O2 in the space.

-Charles

I don't know if you have read any of my previous posts, but, do you think it possible that the valve getting spun in an O2 rich environment, friction of the valve threads against the tank neck threads, coupled with high pressure O2 rushing around the threads could have caused a fire? Perhaps a small amount of contamination in the thread area, possibly even the wrong type of thread lubricant?

I don't know if you have read any of my previous posts, but, do you think it possible that the valve getting spun in an O2 rich environment, friction of the valve threads against the tank neck threads, coupled with high pressure O2 rushing around the threads could have caused a fire? Perhaps a small amount of contamination in the thread area, possibly even the wrong type of thread lubricant?

The most the valve could spin would be 90 degrees in the threads on its way to the floor if it hit something on the way down, and you could assume the valve was tight since it was holding O2 and there isn't any good leverage on the valve for it to strike something with enough force to rotate it in the threads. It would just spin the whole tank. Oxygen isn't explosive in of itself, and gas escaping from the threads would not have propagated an explosion into the tank even if a blow torch was in the stream of the O2.

My opinion is that two separate events occurred back to back, tank fell over and cracked or exploded on impact spewing oxygen, then a fire occurred enriched by the oxygen. The source of heat or ignition to start the fire is not important, the fact the the tank exploded is.

Does anyone have additional pictures of the tank?

The most the valve could spin would be 90 degrees in the threads on its way to the floor if it hit something on the way down, and you could assume the valve was tight since it was holding O2 and there isn't any good leverage on the valve for it to strike something with enough force to rotate it in the threads. It would just spin the whole tank. Oxygen isn't explosive in of itself, and gas escaping from the threads would not have propagated an explosion into the tank even if a blow torch was in the stream of the O2.

Wow, you are making all of these comments, but the above ones aren't correct at all!

Deal with a tank valve every once in a while... a properly tightened tank valve with no pressure inside the tank should be able to be spun by hand with a small amount of force... with a pressurized tank valve and the weight of a tank falling (let one drop on your foot and then tell me that there isn't much force), and hitting the handle just right should be enough to dislodge the valve and spin it, possibly only 90 degrees, but, still potentially enough...

I pull and repair tank valves all the time, again, a properly tightened one isn't very tight...

Also, are you a gas blender? If so, you would know that one of the reasons we open valves slowly and only allow 1 psi per second fill rates is because the speed of the gas causes friction, and when the O2 hits a sharp turn, it actually causes particle impingement, which in effect erodes away whatever material the O2 hits at a high rate of speed...

I pull and repair tank valves all the time, again, a properly tightened one isn't very tight...
That surprises me. I usually need a tool to loosen my pony at the end of a trip. The compressor guys like them tight.

That surprises me. I usually need a tool to loosen my pony at the end of a trip. The compressor guys like them tight.

Dont want to crush/tear the o ring. Finger tight and maybe a 1/4 turn of a wrench at the most is what my shop does...

The attached thread talks about the XS Scuba Steel metal on metal valve flange/tank neck and specific torque specifications...

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/xs-scuba/229345-worthington-xs-steel-tank-valve-torque.html

Likely different for different tanks and manufacturers.

Dont want to crush/tear the o ring. Finger tight and maybe a 1/4 turn of a wrench at the most is what my shop does...

The attached thread talks about the metal on metal valve flange/tank neck and specific torque specifications...

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/xs-scuba/229345-worthington-xs-steel-tank-valve-torque.html

yup, Catalina says:

"Hand tightening of the valve should seat the valve completely on the cylinder (i.e. no gap between the valve and the cylinder). If there is still a gap between the valve and the bottom of the cylinder lightly tap the valve handle with a rawhide or rubber mallet to seat the valve completely. The valve should only rotate 45o (1/8 of a turn) from the point of hand tightening to fully seated."

40 lb-ft recommended, 50 lb-ft maximum.... thats not a lot at all...

Agreed, but it is VERY difficult to make this happen. We tried this in my senior chemistry class for weeks. Oxidation doesn't produce very much heat.
-Charles

Charles, I disagree. Perhaps you should have had a more qualified Chem professor. Oxidation can occur very rapidly and with enough heat to ignite "certain mixtures" of chemicals, making them spontaneously combust or detonate. No flame, no spark, no red hot poker required.

No, it can't. There absolutely MUST be some ignition source. Just hitting oil with O2 will not cause combustion.
-Charles

Charles, if it was that "Oxygen and oil can not cause a fire", please direct yourself to the nearest fire department and convince them. Furthermore, a jet stream of O2 coming into contact with oil could super vaporize it in its proximity. A source of ignition or heat perhaps, a jet stream of plain compressed air on concrete can make it hot from friction, so I know O2 could do it. Add oil vapor and O2 and you could have combustion.

True but you most certainly would not make clothing out of any of these materials. They're highly volatile, even in plain Air.
-Charles

Charles, you should be aware that certain synthetics, polar fleece, nylons, even cotton will support rapid combustion when saturated in O2. Polar fleece even holds static charges very well as an example.
BTW volatile means "evaporates quickly, or vaporizes rapidly", of course clothing would not be made volatile, everyone would be running around naked if this were so:) but most clothing is combustable, 5 to 10 times more so in pure oxygen. Synthetics sticking to you as they melted.

-Charles

I also agree with this, that the tank ruptured, but from undetected cracks, and it came apart violently, and that a fire ensued do to the O2.

Charles, what alloy of tank did Mythbusters use? I'm guessing they used was post 1990. Mythbuster needs to test with pre '88 tank made of AL6351 and that was heavily used. A rifle shot may not produce the same type of ringing in a tank as when it struct concrete, which is another possibility. Ringing which could hamonically propagate a crack. Kinda like the Liberty Bell's destruction. The tank's boot would keep the most of the tank off the concrete, which would prevent immediate dampening, and allow the ringing to propagate from the shoulder where it first impacted.

I really don't want to argue further about what could have or could not have started the fire, the result was tragic. I have an '86 tank which I just retired upon news of this accident.

Back
Top Bottom