O2 Cleaning = VIP Test?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The relatively untrained "NEW" divers have certainty that:

1. There is no such thing as a personally owned tank.

2. There is no need to think or read on a dive boat.

3. All tanks are rentals.

4. All tanks have the same buoyancy characteristics.

5. There is nothing to breathe but air.

6. They paid for a rental tank, so any tank they see handy on the boat MUST be THEIR tank, even though they did NOT carry one to the boat!

7. Actually ASKING a question onboard is both immoral and illegal. After all they just got certified so they KNOW IT ALL!!!

My favorite tanks are 8 pounds negative empty. It is interesting to have one of these "OW divers" imbed themselves in the bottom when they dive one of them by "mistake". What is even more interesting is listening to the whine when it is explained to them that since they blew my buoyancy on the second dive by using one of my tanks I want 8 pounds of lead from THEM so I can make _my_ second dive, and don't bother me with your problems about your buoyancy on your second dive. I also explain that they now have the obligation to get the tank refilled to what it was, with the same mix, on their nickel at the beach. If the lesson is painful they MAY remember! Occasionally one will step up and accept responsibility for his actions. The great majority think I'm being 'unreasonable" and disappear at the dock before all the gear is unloaded.

Ignorance is cureable, with difficulty.
Stupidity is forever!

I guess so...

Just got an email from a buddy who said his shop charges $18 per tank for nitrox prep. No o2 clean, just VIP and the sticker. He asked why (he had the custom mix stickers on, bought the tank used) and the shop owner gave a couple poor reasons, but finally said the main reason is they would not fill them without it. This was a premix shop.

FredT, I understand what you are saying, just don't see someone who is thinking like that being stopped by a nitrox sticker.

Have a good day all...

Tommy

Originally posted by tombiowami
FredT, I understand what you are saying, just don't see someone who is thinking like that being stopped by a nitrox sticker.

Of course it won't stop them, neither will your name in 3" letters across the top of the tank. The only one who had a chance to help was their instructor, and he blew it! Rarely is the newbie really "at fault", he's just ignorant. That ignorance is the instructor's fault, and maybe the instructor's support group should share some of the responsability as well.

This is why it's so necessary when diving in "mixed company" to make sure the little darlings CAN'T hurt themselves under water by grabbing the wrong tank. That said there is no reason not to rape their wallet to teach them a lesson once they surface. One in 10 will learn it right off, the other 9 will be split between those who blame YOU for their mistakes, and those who pick up a hint that they just MIGHT have made a mistake, if they could just figure out where. A few of the last group will figure it out in a couple days and become prophets amonst their peers about not using the "wrong" tank. These are the ones that have hope of becoming skilled at this game.

FT

Back
Top Bottom