O2 Cell Replacement Time....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"Stupid is as stupid does, that's what momma always said." -Forrest Gump
Very apt.
'Stupid' is because the prediction engine failed for one reason or another.

"It won't happen to me",
"I've done it before",
"I saw someone else do it and nothing happened",
"I'm not like that person",
"I can multi-task",
"I don't need to use a checklist to slow me down, I can remember everything"

Most decisions which end up as a negative outcome don't do so because of a good appreciation of the situation and risks, and then the wrong decision applied, but rather poor awareness of the situation leading to a good decision on bad information. Awareness is built up over time with experience, and bad decisions can lead to the 'wrong' awareness being developed.

Regards

Gareth

The human brain works very hard at being an effective but efficient prediction machine. However, we can only predict against what we have perceived (different to seeing, hearing, feeling) and then matching it against previous patterns which we have encountered. If this involves a level of uncertainty, we subconsciously trade-off benefits against losses/gains and execute the action. We then monitor that change to see if it matches our patterns and we carry on. However, we are subject to confirmation bias (if we think something is going to happen, we look for evidence to confirm that and once we find it, we are happy, even if that evidence is extremely tenuous).

Calling someone stupid does nothing to help the learning because it stops the conversation which starts with 'how did it make sense for you to do that?'. If we have experiences (mental models) which are different to the subject, then, of course, we have different predictions. Outcome bias changes those models too. If nothing bad happened when we did something 'stupid', then we have created a model that says it won't always go wrong. The more we validate that model by doing the same activity and nothing bad happening, the more we believe we are right. Hindsight bias also influences analysis. If we know the outcome, we can spot the salient cues in the activity as it leads to disaster. This is what sets apart an expert from a novice, but even experts make mistakes...

Aviation is as safe as it is because aircrew, engineers and ATC personnel know that they can talk about their failures, mistakes AND violations safe in the knowledge that learning will take place and blame will not be attributed (with the exception of willful negligence and sabotage). Diving has a very long way to go to remove the judgemental attitudes which reduce learning across the community. If you've never made a mistake and done something 'stupid' (in hindsight), you are lying. Everyone makes mistakes and breaks the rules because there are always competing goals in our life.

You might find this clip useful to watch.
More than happy to take this into another thread if you (Mods) want.

Regards

Gareth
Hello Gareth,

I did start a thread about this here
Can anybody dive a rebreather (subtitle can anybody do everything?)

I will report this post to MODs so they will make a decision, if that post should come back here (I can re-do the post here) or if the thread deserves splitting.

Cheers

Fabio

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom