O Rings? Who’s the o ring Guru?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

flyboy08

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I would like a lesson on O Rings in our sport! I did a search back a few years and nothing comes up.

Is there a member who can share the do’s and don’t of o ring replacement...Vinton vs others....what O Ring goes where?

We have o rings on all hoses, SPG, primary, octopus, inflator and so on.....THIS NOT A THREAD on Regulator repairs....just Hoses please.

This would make a good sticky as well for future reference.

Anyone up to the challenge? TIA,

I would like a lesson on O Rings in our sport! I did a search back a few years and nothing comes up.

Is there a member who can share the do’s and don’t of o ring replacement...Vinton vs others....what O Ring goes where?

We have o rings on all hoses, SPG, primary, octopus, inflator and so on.....THIS NOT A THREAD on Regulator repairs....just Hoses please.

This would make a good sticky as well for future reference.

Anyone up to the challenge? TIA,

i can put you in contact with some one who eats sleeps and breaths this every day.... he looses me all the time explaining it to me....

I think I used this when I went Oring fishing:
Scuba Diving O-Rings - The Scuba Doctor

I bought 100 yoke to tank Orings from The Oring Store online for next to nothing. I attach 2 to the rubberish valve covers on all my tanks so the orings are with the tanks.

Hope this helps,
Jay

Here is my treatise on the subject with lots of links of people who did it better than I did: O-Rings 101, Understand the seal-eology
Ok, that thread is very helpful! Make it a sticky?i like the size chart!

Also, I saw o rings last week for Nitrox use? Should I replace all my o rings since I’m diving Nitrox?

I think I used this when I went Oring fishing:
Scuba Diving O-Rings - The Scuba Doctor

I bought 100 yoke to tank Orings from The Oring Store online for next to nothing. I attach 2 to the rubberish valve covers on all my tanks so the orings are with the tanks.

Hope this helps,
Jay
Good stuff! Thanks Jay.

Ok, that thread is very helpful! Make it a sticky?i like the size chart!
@Akimbo and crew are working on something bigger. You'll love it. We're just trying to figure out things on my end. :(

Really great information here!

What I didn't see (maybe I missed it?) is which O ring to use where. Not in size, but in material. Vinton VS Busa VS rubber VS ?

SPG = Busa?

1st Stage = Vinton?

As such........

Viton can be used most anywhere Buna can be used, and it's a tougher material. I only buy Viton. It is essential to use Viton anytime the o-ring can be exposed to pure oxygen. PP blending and regs used for Oxygen deco come to mind.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom