'O' rings do let go at the wrong time!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The full internal report stated that NASA management was allowing external factors to influence their decision making abilities to fly the shuttle.

Morton Thyical (SP) advised NASA not to fly the bird in sub freezing conditions.
And the launch was during heavy icing.
Another problem with a static vertical launch vehicle.

Then again the space program takes a lot of heat from Congress and their congressional budgeting process which is a nightmare.
Congress should fully fund space programs as the jobs and technology is awesome.

Ok- stepping off the soapbox and thank you for listening...
Andrew

I will remind everyone, the shuttle Challenger had an o-ring problem.

I haven't used DIN before but have been consindering going that way.

My question now becomes.....isn't the reason for going to DIN is to get away from o-rings failing?

Just wondering??

Ron

Well, since were on the topic..
Last week I spent a wonderfull week in Egypt. One of the days on my 3rd dive I was buddied up with this little woman whos air consumption obviously where loads better than mine considering im a average sized male.
We jumped in on a site to go look for manta rays. about 5 minutes into the dive I turn to look behind me to see if theres anything there except from my buddy - which it wherent. However my buddy had an unusually long and strong exhale with very small bubbles. They turned out to come from her 1st stage (yoke regs) and not her exhalation, so I gave her my octo and tried to see if it was just that the reg had come lose or something so I turned off her valve and tried if I could fix anything, which I couldnt. 10 minutes later we where at the surface. I had spent 20-30 bar of air with the 2 of us breathing on my tank for half the dive (ascending from 17-18 meters while getting closer to the reef). She had lost 80 bar from her tank in what was probably a matte of a minute from the ring blew till I shut her air off. Thats 40% of her total air. Never got dramatic in any way though - And we DID see three manta rays on that dive too :p

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom