O-ring Sources is there a difference?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ECpirates96

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I was looking at O-rings from:
McMaster-Carr
Grainger and
The O-ring store

Are all o-rings these same? I am not talking about Ni vs Viton vs EPDM

Are all Viton rings created equal? If McMaster-Carr and Gaingers are alike then I will go by the local Grainger and pick up my order. If there are issues with use in Scuba then I would like to know. It is my life I am talking about... :eyebrow:

No, I'm pretty sure all o-rings are not the same. There are "name brand" manufacturers and there are foreign no-name manufacturers. Some folks have suggested that you take your chances with no-name sources. I have used Parker o-rings and I have used no-name o-rings and, so far, the biggest difference has been the price.

Good thread. Let me ask a question to all gurus: I've got this 2-022 E70 from the O-ring Store, and it doesn't look very good:

022-O-ring-Store.jpg

I ordered some more, and the second batch looked more or less the same.

I tried to clean them with soap water, then the ultrasonic: no change. The question is: does it matter? I fitted 2 of them in a MK20, instant lock-up, no leak, I dived it and I think I'm still alive.

I've also bought o-rings from McMaster, EPDM, Nitrile, Urethane and Viton, and they're all good. The problem is they pack the EP and the NI in bags of 100, so there's has to be a use for all these; but then the price is OK.

Good thread. Let me ask a question to all gurus: I've got this 2-022 E70 from the O-ring Store, and it doesn't look very good:

022-O-ring-Store.jpg

I ordered some more, and the second batch looked more or less the same.

I tried to clean them with soap water, then the ultrasonic: no change. The question is: does it matter? I fitted 2 of them in a MK20, instant lock-up, no leak, I dived it and I think I'm still alive.

I've also bought o-rings from McMaster, EPDM, Nitrile, Urethane and Viton, and they're all good. The problem is they pack the EP and the NI in bags of 100, so there's has to be a use for all these; but then the price is OK.

You need to flip it over and use the other side. Was that their 1-day special?

I was looking at O-rings from:
McMaster-Carr
Grainger and
The O-ring store
Are all Viton rings created equal? If McMaster-Carr and Gaingers are alike then I will go by the local Grainger and pick up my order.
I just got an order of several sizes from McMaster Carr. All of these except one metric size were Viton duro 90. All of the duro 90 came in little ziplock baggies with a label that says "orings inc/ oringsusa.com". It makes me wonder if I'd be better off going directly to oringsusa.com. The little viton duro 70 2.5mm x 1mm came in a different sealed bag with no label. :idk:

Zung,

From the picture it looks like a waxy coating covering your oring. I heard from people saying that some orings get a coating in order to extend shelf life. In my recent order I go some viton duro 90 2-017 for pistons. These do not show any evidence of coatings but then again, they're viton not epdm.

I'm will try all these duro 90 soon and report results in this board. I'm curious to find out how much KY jelly I'll need to use to get a duro 90 2-010 on a G250 orifice to fit inside the barrel. Stay tuned.

Last edited:
No matter from which side, they look like... crap. And I was charged full list price for them. But they work. And if I rub hard with my finger, some but not all the whitish stuff goes away.

Since you didn't ask, here's a macro shot:

022-O-ring-Store-Macro-2.jpg

Zung - I thought those o-rings were a 1 April special.

I get my o-rings from Daemar. They hate me because I aleways want quantities of 50-200, and they want to sell 10,000 at a time. They usually throw a handful in a bag and hand them to me, as it isn't worth their time to count them and type a ticket. For instance, the urethane 014's that you can get from a dive shop for a buck each, I get from Daemar every other year for nothing. I just have to go in and beg....

I've been told and have read in Vance's book that all orings are NOT created equal. But has anybody around here ever had any major problems with crappy orings desintegrating or miserably failing due to poor quality. I starting to think that quality problems in real life scuba situations may be more related to orings past their shelf life rather because of bad quality.

Back
Top Bottom