NZ wreck ( a must dive)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Would this be an appropriate dive for a beginner? I have ~ 17 dives and AOW, but haven't been that deep. Hoping that the top of the ship is closer to 25-30m.
The ship is on its side. Top of the ship is around 16m and the sand at 36m although every time I have dived it the water is so dirty I have not been to the sand. Once over the side of the ship and running parallel with the deck, its very dirty with vis maybe 1-2 m. Inside is very silty so much care must be taken as its easy to silt it out. It is not a wreck to penetrate unless you have a cert for penetration and some experience. A guide can take you into some areas, but remember its a wreck with all the traps and not a sterile deliberately sunk ship with big holes everywhere.

Its inside a small bay and it gets a lot of runoff from the hills, hence the silt problem. Outside diving is fine although limited vis often. A great wreck though and very shallow for such a large and new wreck.

Agree with peter its not a wreck to take lightly if penetrating but 1-1.5m vis is the the worse it gets.
ive dived it nearly 100 times and its average is 5m vis - a great experience regardless if you can comfortably dive on here you can dive anywhere

Agree with peter its not a wreck to take lightly if penetrating but 1-1.5m vis is the the worse it gets.
ive dived it nearly 100 times and its average is 5m vis - a great experience regardless if you can comfortably dive on here you can dive anywhere

Low vis is fairly scary to me as a new diver. Probably would pass on this one now until I have more experience.

Low vis is fairly scary to me as a new diver. Probably would pass on this one now until I have more experience.

Sadly its probably a wise move. Better to get some experience first so when you finally do dive it, its an enjoyable experience and not a scary one.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom