NZ- Tutukaka????????? (poor knights)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

matt!

New
Reaction score
Hello!!

I'll be going to NZ in a couple weeks (will be there 30 July- 7 Aug). I've heard that the Poor Knights islands are a great dive site. Anyone know much? One post I saw recommended http://www.yukon.co.nz/, any place else good? Is it too cold this time of the year to dive with a wetsuit?
Thank you!!!!!!!

matthew

Do a search on this board. Plenty of good info.
Poor Knights & Bay of Islands are excellent.
Water is temperate, like Monterey Ca. When I went in summer I wore a drysuit shell with light undergarments. Was very comfortable. If you have a drysuit, why not?

good website:
www.diving.co.nz

Poor knights are great. There are also a couple of navy wrecks just out of Tutukaka and just north is whanaki where there are a few crayfish to be caught.
Water temp is getting down. Its 12- 13deg C in Auckland and prbably a few deg higher at the knights.
I take it you have read this thread... http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=146757

Noel from Yukon is a great guy to go out with, but is best suited to experienced divers who know what they want, have their own gear etc.

For the visiting diver, particularly if you need to hire gear, the best bet is Dive! Tutukaka (www.diving.co.nz). They are about $10 more expensive per day, but offer excellent service. You can also take advantage of their guides who will be able to point out the really cool stuff.

AndyNZ:
Noel from Yukon is a great guy to go out with, but is best suited to experienced divers who know what they want, have their own gear etc.

For the visiting diver, particularly if you need to hire gear, the best bet is Dive! Tutukaka (www.diving.co.nz). They are about $10 more expensive per day, but offer excellent service. You can also take advantage of their guides who will be able to point out the really cool stuff.
I second what Andy wrote.

thanks! I emailed "Dive! Tutukaka" yesterday, and they emailed back right away (good sign!).

After there, my friend and I are flying to Christchurch, anyone by chance know good places to visit near there for scenery (yes... non-diving question). I'm thinking of maybe small towns west of there 1-2 hours by car.

matt!:
thanks! I emailed "Dive! Tutukaka" yesterday, and they emailed back right away (good sign!).

Their service is great, you'll have an awesome time - particularly this time of year as the numbers are likely to be low on the boats...

After there, my friend and I are flying to Christchurch, anyone by chance know good places to visit near there for scenery (yes... non-diving question). I'm thinking of maybe small towns west of there 1-2 hours by car.

Couple of options spring immediately to mind - you can go south east onto the Banks Peninsula, some beautiful scenery, isolated beaches and stop in Akaroa (the heart of French colonialism in NZ!) for lunch. Alternatively, head west and drive over Aurther's Pass - very mountainous, a great drive if the road is open... though if you hire a car, make sure they give you some snow chains just in case!

Back
Top Bottom