Nusa Penida? Gili Islands? South Lombok? Dive destinations max 1'ish hour from Bali.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ashantiashanti

Contributor
Reaction score
Hey guys!

Been ages since I've been to Indonesia and I hear so much has changed, especially on Bali. I used to dive a lot and will be going with a friend who recently got his certificate through his work. He's completely new to coral reef diving, however I have dived in Raja, Komodo, Nusa and Tulamben in Indonesia.

We are going to Bali for 2 weeks in November, where we're planning to spend the 1 week going to a dive destination. I have narrowed my search to Nusa Penida, the Gilli's and Lombok. I think that going to Komodo will take too much of our time to get there (flying there and back will take at least 2 days of our trip) and therefore ruled it out. From my research there is not much else around Bali?

Now which ones would you recommend?

Nusa: To my amazement the manta's are still plentiful in Nusa Penida, despite all the tourist crowds! But apart from Manta point, how're the corals, fish life, sharks (?) cuttle fish etc? I am afraid that spending a week there might be too much?

Gili - I have not been there for diving. I avoided it back in the day as I was told that the dive sites were overcrowded and you were lucky to see a turtle. However after a quick search on youtube I can see dives sites like Shark Sanctuary off Gili Air are great? Could this be worth our time?

South Lombok - I actually know nothing of this area. I have heard about The Magnet / Cathedral at Belongas Bay but never went as it was quite difficult to get to, and not much else to do there? Are there any other spots on Western Lombok?

If it helps, he is OW while I have Nitrox. But I do not plan on doing any nitrox diving. He would like to do a freediving course too.

Is it plausible to combine both Nusa and Gili's together within a week? Or maybe 4 days each?

Thanks guys!

I've been to Lembogan/Penida a few times in the past ~6 years and aside from crystal bay and Manta Point the sites were not overly busy. It helps that it's a lot of drift diving, it kind of keeps the crowds moving along! SD and ToyaPakeh are still awesome dives (if you're into colorful drift dives).

No sharks, or if you see one you're lucky. (try Gili Mimpang out of Candi Dasa or Pandang Bai?)

Buts lots of coral, good vis on those drift dives, good biomass. Octopus, cuddlefish, mantis shrimp, etc.

Haven't been to Gilli so I'll leave others to comment, but I hear it is not as good as lembogan/penida

Four days on Gili Air or Gili Trawangan and four days on Nusa Lembongan and Nusa Penida is a great plan.

Those three islands off Lombok are awesome for new divers. The water is warm, usually blue, and one can work up into bigger current as time goes by. You will see tons and tons of turtles, most likely your fair share of whitetip sharks, and tons of other marine life. The coral isn't nearly as good as the water around Nusa Penida, but for the kind of stuff new divers want to see, they are good as it gets. Topside there is much to do. If you party hard, stay on Gili T. Gili Air is more family friendly and much more my speed. After four days of diving there, you will be much more prepared and able to deal with the currents around Nusa Penida and Nusa Lembongan.

Nusa Penida and Nusa Lembongan will be awesome for the manta sites and flying like superman over beautiful coral. At certain times of the year, there is a solid chance of mola mola, although November is a little late. That does not mean you won't see them and they are seen all year. Honestly, speed drifting over a kilometer or two and hoping to get a glimpse of something big isn't my thing, but most people love it.

Forget South Lombok. The Magnet and Cathedral are big-time dives in the middle of nowhere. Surface conditions and currents are often crazy and undividable. I'm not saying the sites are bad- they can be amazing. Belongas Bay is a very special place, but not what most people are seeking when vacationing around Bali. Its a niche market for very experienced divers who can manage expectations and having one's a$$ handed to them. :D

A side note, both "gili" and "nusa" are words for "island."

We did Gili Air, Padang Bai for the Nusa Isalnds and local sites, and then Amed. Gili Air was fantastic, don’t believe the myth that the turtles are all gone, we saw many many, plus sharks on most dives, great marine life and coral that is really no worse than when we first visited in 2011. I too am amazed that the mantas have stuck out Penida for so long, but we had ten or twelve very close and really chilled out. Agree that the coral is better than the Gilis.

It sounds great doing both Gili Air or T and Nusa Penida/Lembongan. Especially with the chance of the Molas and ofc Mantas (need to time it during the week when there is low tide.)

From my research it seems Lembongan is on the way with the ferry to the Gili's. So that would be good! I did consider Padang Bai (seeing as the ferries to the Gili's is from there,) however it sounds like a much more sleepy town, and most of their divesites overlap with the Penida area?

It sounds great doing both Gili Air or T and Nusa Penida/Lembongan. Especially with the chance of the Molas and ofc Mantas (need to time it during the week when there is low tide.)

From my research it seems Lembongan is on the way with the ferry to the Gili's. So that would be good! I did consider Padang Bai (seeing as the ferries to the Gili's is from there,) however it sounds like a much more sleepy town, and most of their divesites overlap with the Penida area?
I would start your dive week on Gili T or Gili Air so your open water partner can get some more experience before heading to Nusa Lembongan (big current, cold water). Once in Bali, book transport and fast boat tickets from Padang Bai to Gili T or Gili Air. Then you can fast boat direct to Lembongan. Its all very easy.

The big Padang Bai dive shops do run day trips to Nusa Penida, but most of their dive sites are in Padang Bai and off Candidasa.

Forget South Lombok. The Magnet and Cathedral are big-time dives in the middle of nowhere. Surface conditions and currents are often crazy and undividable. I'm not saying the sites are bad- they can be amazing. Belongas Bay is a very special place, but not what most people are seeking when vacationing around Bali. Its a niche market for very experienced divers who can manage expectations and having one's a$$ handed to them. :D

A side note, both "gili" and "nusa" are words for "island."

I dived south Lombok in the crazy currents. It is not for new or inexperienced divers. We had one chap with us claiming he was really experienced and he was halfway through his DM course. He panicked off the boat and had to be brought back to the boat.
He thought we were all nuts and never dived with us in South Lombok again.

I will go back there again it was a blast for me had a great time. Yes nothing to do at night time except eat good food and chill.
I don't need bars and night life.

I dived in Lemgonan with Tamarind Divers and had a great time but they only two dives a day due to strong currents in late afternoons.

I would start your dive week on Gili T or Gili Air so your open water partner can get some more experience before heading to Nusa Lembongan (big current, cold water). Once in Bali, book transport and fast boat tickets from Padang Bai to Gili T or Gili Air. Then you can fast boat direct to Lembongan. Its all very easy.

The big Padang Bai dive shops do run day trips to Nusa Penida, but most of their dive sites are in Padang Bai and off Candidasa.

Hmm, we have actually just booked our trip to include an additional 3 days in Indo, flying into Bali. So we have a total of 17 days. Now we are considering flying over to Komodo.

As we are on a budget, you think its worth the extra costs on flights (vs. ferries to Penida and Gilis) and park fees and dive fees, to do either a short liveaboard or a bunch of day dives?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom