Number Size - Oceanic VEO

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

perry64

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I thought about posting this under the "Older Eyes" thread because it's a similar question.

I'm considering buying an Oceanic VEO 3, but it doesn't look too much bigger than the air gauge, so I'm wondering how big the numbers are, i.e., are they readable for someone with older eyes?

Thanks in advance.

If you really want something readable, bite the bullet and get a Shearwater.

If you really want something readable, bite the bullet and get a Shearwater.

Marie -
Thanks, but those are a little more than I can afford. I'm a 1-2x/year diver with no plans to upgrade to more complex diving, and so it doesn't make sense to spend that much for me.

I bought my son a GEO 2.0. I think that it has a similar number size to the VEO. If I stare at the gauge for a while, my 'older eyes' can then just barely focus on the readout of the GEO without some 'cheater' lenses in my mask. Takes too much time. Last Christmas, my wife bought me prescription lenses for my mask - makes seeing everything easier.

It's a little bigger than a watch sized computer so fairly readable. See the number size in this video.

It's a little bigger than a watch sized computer so fairly readable. See the number size in this video.

Thanks for the video. I think I should be able to read that.

For all the suggestions about cheaters/Rx in masks,I appreciate them. I've got cheaters on sunglasses, but I'm not wild about them. Until my vision gets worse, I think I'll try to avoid them in my mask.

The character size on the Oceanic VEO puck series is 3/8". Here is my VEO 3.0 next to a Pro Plus 2.1 which has a character size of 1/2". I can read either in a well lit environment but is low light conditions I find myself squinting, even with the back light. Having seen them underwater next to a Shearwater, there is no comparison to the crisp lit display of a Shearwater (I am currently in the process of talking myself into one).
The other thing to consider is if you are looking at a VEO 3.0 it was discontinued by Oceanic at the end of last year but there may be retailers still clearing out stock. In the past this has never been a problem with with Oceanic and support. They discontinued the Aeris product line several years ago but were still honoring new purchase warranties at late as last month but a friend just purchased an A300 and contacted product support to register it and was told that since being acquired by Huish Outdoors they were no longer warranting 'legacy' lines.

upload_2017-5-30_16-47-9.png

I have a VT3 primary and a Geo2 backup, both are actually quite easy to see with my elderly eyes.

Where are you diving? In bright sunlight you shouldn't have a problem with those segmented displays and at night you can shine the light at them.

Back
Top Bottom