Number one cause of diving fatalities?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, you don't, unless you arrre divink in Rrrusshia:
Edit: @tridacna quoted 10%, 5 lbs is 10% of 50 lbs, what I am curious about is why you need to wear 50 lbs on your weight belt. If I wanted to add 10% to my weight for extra salinity between, say, Roatan and Bonare, that'd be a .8 lbs and last I looked they didn't make weights like that.

How the heck did you arrive at those numbers? Combining two posts to get to a fictitious number is highly creative. I must say.

I was referring to an operator in Bermuda who spreads lies about the salinity of the water to prevent newbies from taking too little weight with them so he doesn't have to add weight to them post splash.

Now we're at 10% of 50lbs and some other nonsense. What is the point you're (not very convincingly) trying to make? :eek:

And which part of "I'm curious, dmaziuk, why I need to add about five pounds to my weight belt" did you miss? Or did you score as high on your elementary school reading as you did on physics?

Edit: "divers are advised to add 10-20% more weight" is quoting you, that's where 10% came from.

Did not read all the answers but , to my knowledge there is - at least in france - a large number of fatal accidents due to "surpession pulmonaire " in other words "too high pressure in the lungs" that creates "explosions" of the lung alveoles , difficulties to oxygenate blood and therefore death. So I am rather surprised that you all seem to focus on loss of air and lack of weight ditching as the main cuprit.

Did I misread most of your discussion?

The difference between fresh water and salt water is 3%. For many people, 5 pounds will be about right.

And which part of "I'm curious, dmaziuk, why I need to add about five pounds to my weight belt" did you miss? Or did you score as high on your elementary school reading as you did on physics?

Edit: "divers are advised to add 10-20% more weight" is quoting you, that's where 10% came from.
You are the one who said:
Everybody knows salinity has nothing to do with buoyancy.
The question was "tongue in cheek."
How Will Your Buoyancy Differ in Fresh vs Salt Water?

SeaRat

Last edited:
This is a 2-for-1 response. Or, in the current vernacular of 'special offers', maybe it can be called a BOGO.
JamesBon92007:
I can see how that would be an issue if cave diving or getting lost inside a shipwreck etc, but in open water, how does someone just "run out of gas (air)"?
The 'how' is outlined in the post that started this entire discussion, specifically in the document for which a link is provided in the very first line of that post.
Did not read all the answers but , to my knowledge there is - at least in france - a large number of fatal accidents due to "surpession pulmonaire " in other words "too high pressure in the lungs" that creates "explosions" of the lung alveoles , difficulties to oxygenate blood and therefore death. So I am rather surprised that you all seem to focus on loss of air and lack of weight ditching as the main cuprit. . . . Did I misread most of your discussion?
No, you did not misread the discussion. But, perhaps you just didn't read the very first post in this thread, specifically the very first line.

I do not make these comments to be critical of either comment, rather to identify a particular post, which happens to be the first post in the thread, and one that probably provides particularly useful context to facilitate understanding of the overall discussion.

And, in fairness to those who joined the discussion midstream, the thread has taken a rather tortuous and difficult to follow course at times, complicated by egregious misunderstandings and misinformation with regard to proper weighting, and some unfortunately extraneous and irrelevenat detour discussions about issues such as the weight of a diver's head. The comments about (over)weighting, in particular, have primarily evolved from the text of one of the linked 'references' - http://www.divingmedicine.info/Ch 34 SM10c.pdf. And, on the surface the comments from that source appear to be applicable to the discussion. In fact, the observational study alluded to, but not directly referenced, in this chapter, while probably a seminal work, for its time, is better described in 2016 as a 'vintage' study. The observational study - of 100 divers - which was the basis of the statistics cited in the chapter, was conducted between 1980 and 1989 (30 years ago), and (as far as can be determined) has not been updated with any subsequently collected data. Several posters in this thread have focused on the chapter authors' assertions about significant overweighting as a cause of diver deaths, without assessing the merits of the calculations the authors used to determine that overweighting was a legitimate factor in the diver deaths (somewhat arbitrary, entirely retrospective and presumptive, and consequently flawed beyond any reasonable credibility). There is simply no contemporary evidence to support that presumption.

This thread originated with a question about a DAN summary of diver deaths, based on a substantial body of contemporary data. Those data indicate that, once medical events have been eliminated, a primary factor in diving incidents and accidents is an interruption in the gas supply. It may be that, in selected regions, the primary factor is something else (e.g. barotrauma associated with rapid ascent, medical events, etc.). But, the most important message - divers need to pay close attention to their gas supply - remains pre-eminent.

Last edited:
Thank you for the clarification Colliam. It really helps to understand the whole thing :).

If I remember correctly, I have read that barotrauma was responsible for 40% of the deaths, but I cannot cite the source, nor say if this is a reliable one. From my point of view,, while Out of air is "psychologically" the worse situation one can face underwater, It should not be the case if one looks at his gauge regularly, does not dive too deep nor beyond NDL, and stays with a reliable buddy.:)

Salt water is about 2.5% more dense than fresh water.

So, weigh yourself fully kitted up (dry) for fresh water, and add 2.5% of that for diving with the same gear in salt water.

From my point of view,, while Out of air is "psychologically" the worse situation one can face underwater, It should not be the case if one looks at his gauge regularly, does not dive too deep nor beyond NDL, and stays with a reliable buddy.:)
YES! Well stated.

This thread originated with a question about a DAN summary of diver deaths, based on a substantial body of contemporary data. Those data indicate that, once medical events have been eliminated, the primary factor is diving incidents and accidents is an interruption in the gas supply. It may be that, in selected regions, the primary factor is something else (e.g. barotrauma associated with rapid ascent,
As I understood the DAN study, these two were BOTH part of the identified cause of fatalities. Barotrauma associated with rapid ascent was the result of the interruption of the in the gas supply that preceded that rapid ascent.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom