Nuffa That.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lest shore divers get too reckless a reputation, there's always Point Lobos for us less hardy folks. Access via a boat ramp steps from your parked car. Only real danger is the slippery algae.

I have climbed all of the goat trails in Palos Verdes with no real problems. I've dived Monastery Beach without tumbling in the surf. I've made many shore dives that require a quarter mile surface swim after entering from rocks. The only time I can remember losing my footing multiple times was the boat ramp at Pt. Lobos. :)

Time to retire to Florida. I don't think we have anything like that. You guys are "real" adventurers for sure. I don't think it would have occurred to me to try and dive such a site.

Buford Sink before the board walk was installed. A half a mile walk through Florida swamps, often with knee high muck, and the usual mosquito eating you alive.

At the time ( the early 60's ) Ft. Walton Beach had/has the whitest sand I ever saw, with a very, very tiny bit of black (pepper) mixed in.
Same as in Destin. It squeaks when you walk on it. That sand is a result of stuff that comes down from the Appalachians through rivers & streams, and is unique to the Emerald Coast.

I dived yesterday at a place that had more rocks to climb down & up, but managed to get back up without doffing the unit. Just strained an arm and a leg muscle this time. Lost a wt. pocket exiting over rocks in the waves. Not going there again. Nuffa That--AGAIN !!

Lest shore divers get too reckless a reputation, there's always Point Lobos for us less hardy folks. Access via a boat ramp steps from your parked car. Only real danger is the slippery algae.

West coast version of Jamestown RI Fort Wetherill.

Easy Entry.gif

I have climbed all of the goat trails in Palos Verdes with no real problems. I've dived Monastery Beach without tumbling in the surf. I've made many shore dives that require a quarter mile surface swim after entering from rocks. The only time I can remember losing my footing multiple times was the boat ramp at Pt. Lobos. :)

now tell us the horror stories

you know you cant walk on water

though we know you are a legend

It was a Slip N Slide. We entered the boat ramp at high tide and I slipped on the algae. I slid all the way into the water. No harm, no foul. As I was exiting nearly two hours later, I slipped while walking up the ramp. Fortunately, I didn't go back into the water again. That would have been embarrassing. :)

My least favorite entry was at Flat Rock in Palos Verdes. One section of the trail is not much wider than your feet. While hiking over that section at night, my weightbelt slipped and fell around my ankles. I had to bend down while wearing a steel 130 and pull the weightbelt back up without going over the side of the trail. It was on the backbone section leading to the point on the left.
45877141095_917ed19d07_b.jpg

Oh Jeez. Musta been a fun walk back up geared up.

I took the longer trail back up. At high tide, you can make a giant stride into ten feet of water at the end of the steep trail. It's a little tough to get back up to the trail from the water.
I found a shaky video on YouTube that gives a good idea of what shore diving is like around here.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom