Nudibranch Lovers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just because something is undescribed does not mean its new, just new to science.
Although this species has never been recorded elsewhere. There has been 14 different Unidentia sp's found in a 100M stretch of the Mooloolah River.
This dive site has yielded a tonne of undescribed species. Go to Nudibranch.com.au, go to sunshine coast species and work back from page 47. See how many are described as sp.
A taxonimist needs to describe a species before it gets a name, which is a slow process that can yield no benefit to science (other than defining where the critter belongs). If you could make weapons from Nudibranch's I am sure it would be a whole lot quicker.

Attachments

• Undentia morphology.pdf
    159.6 KB · Views: 217
I would not recommend it for snorkelling.
Steep drop off to 5M
High current
Possible low viz
Boating channel

For snorkelling you will be hard pressed to beat
Lady Elliott island, Heron island & Wilson island

I can't believe I was actually there several years ago when I dived HMAS Brisbane. I wish I'd known about nudis being present in that area.

Shore diving I presume?

Yes it is all shore diving, the council was nice enough to build nice new concrete stairs for us all.
The best part is most dives go around 150 minutes some much longer. Water temps are quite mild but you need plenty of exposure protection for the long run times.
From memory there have been around 400 species found in the river on 3 sites that stretch over about 150 meters.

Well I know where I'll be heading on my next Oz trip :D

My daughter was living in Townsville at the time (2016) and I have an ex-colleague who lives in Brisbane, so we had a weekend at Mooloolabah before I headed back to Dubai.

Did the wreck (HMAS Brisbane) and a site called the "Inner Nearings" few nudis there but due to the way the dives are run, I'd be on my own very quickly.

The inner Gneerings and local reefs also have tonnes of Nudibranch's. You just need a buddy to go slow with!
If you are ever in Qld let me know and I will go for a dive with you!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom