Nubble Light 3/10

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chipwd:
I dove Nubble Light last fall. I loved it! We saw tons of crab, lobstah, starfish and sculpin. I don't get a lot of sw dives in so each one is cool for me.

Of course, the water temps were a balmy 48 degrees then and the air temp was in the 70's.

I, too, learned the safest way to exit is often crawling up on the rocks like some primordial beast escaping the grasp of the water to struggle eventually to it's feet and stagger away. as a matter of fact, the diver I was with, who is a frequent Nubble diver, wears knee pads over his wetsuit to save it from wearing on the rocks. Smart guy!

We did see a lot of broken and abandoned lobster traps or parts of traps.

I'll be back again this Sept. I'd like to make it a yearly trip.

Wears them with drysuits too.

Saves his body's knees as well.

Wears them with drysuits too.

Saves his body's knees as well.

I hear that! Crawling around on your knees on rocks with an extra 80 plus lbs of gear without pads while the ocean tries to toss you around is not conducive to healthy knees.

It does however, provide all the tourist onlookers a good show. I've been both the tourist onlooker and the tossed-about diver. I prefer being the diver........

There....I just changed my avatar to a picture that my lovely wife took of us entering the water by nubble. I'm the chubby dot on the left. The lighthouse is in the background.

Very nice. I kinda like your boat pic too. I lived in Rome , NY a few years ago while in the military working at Griffiss, AFB. Still have a lot of friends in Syracuse area. Do you get up to the St Lawrence at all? And what's the diving like on lake George?

Haven't got to St Lawrence yet but a couple of friends of mine have and they like it. I guess there is a decent current in some spots that give you a little challenge and some wrecks to dive, too.

Lake George is cool. No, I really mean cool.
Fairly cold water most of the year with temps ranging from 40 degrees to mid 50's at depth. Surface temp could be 70 - 80 degrees but below the thermocline is always chilly. Gotta wear plenty of neoprene.

Vis ranges from 10' to 30'. Lots of underwater cliffs and ledges to dive. I love diving underwater structure like that.

There are several areas that local divers have set up underwater attractions; sunken boats, planes, buoyancy courses, etc...

There are also several historical dive sites. Some bateaux in a couple of different places and a radeau from the French and Indian War period in 110'.

I have a boat and several of my dive buddies have boats as well so we can pretty much go anywhere we want on the lake. It's 32 miles long and up to a couple of miles wide at some points. Max depth is about 200'. Lots of area to dive in. Not far from Lake Champlain which is even bigger (90 miles long) and full of old wrecks, too.

Good diving as long as you don't mind cold water and wearing neoprene, no dry suit yet for me.

I was at Nubble on Sunday for two dives in the morning. I had 36 on the first dive warming up to a toasty 37 on the second with about the same luck on visibility. Luckily I was diving dry (with dry gloves!) so I really can't complain about the temp. There was a pretty big stonefish hanging out in about 17' of water on the first dive. Warmer water is coming!

Yes, nice of you to steal the good dry suit on Saturday brdr882! I thought they were gonna have to amputate my hands they were so cold. Thanks for letting me switch with you for the second dive.

Tim did you get tangled up with a dive flag on one of your dives Saturday?

The reason you were cold is who you were diving with. Mick is a cold magnet, thats why the water was 34 for you and 36/37 for me!

Oceanseleven:
Yes, nice of you to steal the good dry suit on Saturday brdr882! I thought they were gonna have to amputate my hands they were so cold. Thanks for letting me switch with you for the second dive.

Tim did you get tangled up with a dive flag on one of your dives Saturday?

No, I didn't get tangled up in anything. Had some issues breathing water in through my snorkel when I went to do a surface swim back in and found out my gills are not fully formed yet. Had to spit the water back out without a lick of oxygen getting to where it needed to go :shakehead

Actually, just did the one dive and I think we were gone by 12:30. Believe it or not, the guys in the drysuits were cold. Ummm, don't tell anyone but we didn't use a dive flag either.:no

Oh, I know Tim. I was one of the guys in the drysuits and on the first dive I was freezing. Second dive with different suit, dry gloves and proper thermal underwear was like night and day. I was almost dare I say comfortable.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom