Nubble - an unusual day

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oldflounder

Contributor
Reaction score
New Hampshire/Maine seacoast or Lake Winnie
# of dives
200 - 499
To show you how you can't trust the marine forecast - yesterday it called for 30kt winds out of the west and 4-6' seas. Not great conditions if you know Nubble. I went there expecting very poor viz. Even Donny figured it would be a crappy day for diving. But when I got there at 1/2 hour after high tide the seas were almost flat. The wind made a lot of 1' chop but the ocean itself was pretty much calm beneath the surface. There was hardly a movement along the ledges for most of the morning. What swells there were, were out of the south. Normally the swells come out of the east off the ocean. I couldn't believe the viz. After a couple days of rain and crappy weather the viz was 20 - 25'. It was a great dive. One of the best all winter. The water was 40* surface last time I was there 2 weeks ago and it was 48 yesterday. Dove the south cove with a buddy for a change. Looking forward to a good Spring for diving.

We were diving in Cape Elizabeth this morning and noticed the W winds were not as predicted at 10:00 AM. By the time we got out of the water at noon they had come around. Visibility there was also delightful. All it needed was a week without a deluge.

Pete

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom