NSS-CDS Full Cave: The Live-Blog

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

-double-

Cross-posting from Facebook in farewell:

It breaks my heart to say it, but... I'm being forced into early retirement from diving due to medical issues. It's not clear whether I'll EVER be able to dive again.

For the last 16 months, I've been suffering from a neurological illness that's caused progressively worse vertigo, balance issues, and hearing loss. Despite extensive testing, we haven't been able to determine the cause - but it might be leftover damage from a prior case of COVID. There are still some treatment options available for the symptoms.

The first time that my symptoms flared was during a cave diving trip in April 2021. Cave sites and dives that had been 100% perfect experiences during a holiday trip were suddenly too deep, too dark, too rough. I couldn't keep my balance underwater, eyes open or closed. I could barely keep myself together on the good dives -- and there were A LOT of dives that week that were near-disasters.

I didn't get back in the water for weeks after that, because I felt like something was wrong with me as a diver and as a person. Before the end of the summer, it was becoming increasingly clear that the problem was with my health. I haven't been in the water since.

I miss SCUBA diving every day and I dream about the caves at night. I didn't think that I'd be losing my lifelong dream of cave diving only 8 years after I started. But I'm so grateful for the time that I did have.

Buddies [list of names redacted] and countless others made the aquasphere the very best part of the world to be in.

Instructors [list of names redacted] made me more skilled, more aware, and more accomplished with every day that we spent together.

If I missed you as a dive buddy here, please know that I treasured the time that you part of my diving life. And that it's really hard for me to dwell on a loss this big.

I love you all, I miss you all, and please keep diving safely for me.
❤

My wife has some medical complications from long COVID and last year I had some minor issues too. My deepest sympathies.

@dewdropsonrosa

I am touched an profoundly saddened. I have followed your journey here with anticipation and quiet admiration. Your frankness, self-awareness, and determination have always been motivating.

Having a mother with long term vertigo, and my own bodily limitations likely circumscribing the scope of my future diving, I am sympathetic. I deeply hope that you can overcome your obstacles to diving as time goes on, but most of all that you may find great happiness, and contentment in the other areas of your life.

You (have been and) will be missed ...

@dewdropsonrosa

We've never met but I really enjoyed your writing, emotional maturity and pursuit of excellence.

Sad to see you go but I know you're going to bless those around you with your brilliant mind.

Thank you for setting such a great example here in SB.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom