NSS-CDS Board of Directors

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Right now, they are causing huge rifts after the shakedown on the board and the motions that are being made right now

What rifts? This is hardly mentioned outside of Scubaboard. Not even on the Cave diving facebook groups. The last time that I saw NSS-CDS politics mentioned at all was when Renee was removed. I think @ofg-1 is right you are making a mountain out of a molehill. I've said before that I feel that the NSS-CDS is a rudderless organization, without a clear mission that they can use to increase membership. But it doesn't need to be executed.

What rifts? This is hardly mentioned outside of Scubaboard. Not even on the Cave diving facebook groups. The last time that I saw NSS-CDS politics mentioned at all was when Renee was removed. I think @ofg-1 is right you are making a mountain out of a molehill. I've said before that I feel that the NSS-CDS is a rudderless organization, without a clear mission that they can use to increase membership. But it doesn't need to be executed.

I mean that was like a week ago, but the current bylaws stuff to exclude the KUR guys from running is about to cause some big problems.

I mean that was like a week ago, but the current bylaws stuff to exclude the KUR guys from running is about to cause some big problems.

IIRC that part was removed from the bylaw change.

I have yet to hear anyone say that they think the CDS currently has a positive impact on the community that isn't part of the BoD, and even that doesn't appear to be universal. It could be, it should be, but when not a single person can say ANYTHING that they have done to better the cave community in the last 5 years, it's hard to say that they're relevant. Right now, they are causing huge rifts after the shakedown on the board and the motions that are being made right now
Stupid question. If your position is that if CDS no longer existed it would make no difference to the community, then why does their continued existence bother you? If they are irrelevant, why spend so much time thinking about them? The CDS is living rent free in your head.

You know, the Flat Earth Society exists, but if they did not it probably would not make any difference, but their existence does not bother me. BTW, If the Flat Earth Society interests you, you may join here:

The Flat Earth Society
I have to agree. The CDS has around 1000 members and that says that there are quite a few people that find value. If the complete determination of the CDS existence and function is summed in a few posts on this board, then focus is so narrow, and lack of information is terrible. But ultimately if the CDS bothers you then don't join and move along,because a few posts among a group waving their "I hate the CDS" flag isn't going to help things either..

I have yet to hear anyone say that they think the CDS currently has a positive impact on the community that isn't part of the BoD, and even that doesn't appear to be universal. It could be, it should be, but when not a single person can say ANYTHING that they have done to better the cave community in the last 5 years, it's hard to say that they're relevant. Right now, they are causing huge rifts after the shakedown on the board and the motions that are being made right now

Within the past five years CDS members re-lined Little River, provided gold line to a number of cave systems around the world (including the Dominican Republic, Mexico and Canada), worked with the FWC to maintain access at Eagles Nest and Buford, made Blueprint for Survival (and it's foreign language translations) free for everyone on the planet, and donated funding for new steps at both Peacock and Madison (work done by the NFSA). Could they do more? Absolutely, but to say they haven't done anything is nuts.

@tbone1004 @kensuf

The things Ken pointed out above resonate loud and clear, at least to me. Could more be done? Absolutely more could be done. I think the current dysfunctional BOD has prevented much else from happening, but again that is just my opinion.

@tbone1004 Please tell us how the cave diving community would be better served if the NSS-CDS ceased to exist?

@tbone1004 @kensuf

The things Ken pointed out above resonate loud and clear, at least to me. Could more be done? Absolutely more could be done. I think the current dysfunctional BOD has prevented much else from happening, but again that is just my opinion.

@tbone1004 Please tell us how the cave diving community would be better served if the NSS-CDS ceased to exist?

it wouldn't be better served, I just don't think it would really change anything. I think the NFSA would get pushed to expand its scope in Florida which would take care of local gold line and I'm sure would have done the same with places like Buford and Eagles Nest for maintaining cave access.

I don't want the CDS to go away, I just think it is highly dysfunctional which is causing problems in the community and needs to have a complete overhaul that starts with getting out of training which would lead to it becoming all inclusive.

I have to agree. The CDS has around 1000 members and that says that there are quite a few people that find value. If the complete determination of the CDS existence and function is summed in a few posts on this board, then focus is so narrow, and lack of information is terrible. But ultimately if the CDS bothers you then don't join and move along,because a few posts among a group waving their "I hate the CDS" flag isn't going to help things either..

I don’t know enough about the NSS-CDS to hate it. Besides, hate is an awfully strong word.

The organization doesn’t bother me nor do I think I’ve chosen to be narrow-minded.

I recognize the NSS-CDS has high quality members such as Edd as the Safety Officer and Ken as a recent BoD member and I’m sure there are others who I just don’t know about.

I recently moved back to Florida where cave training is available. I’m trying to learn what my options are because I want to commit to being part of a community.

I’m looking for an organization that is positive, focused and cohesive.

I’m hoping to hear more of Ken’s posts above.

I don't want the CDS to go away, I just think it is highly dysfunctional which is causing problems in the community and needs to have a complete overhaul that starts with getting out of training which would lead to it becoming all inclusive.

Why? Training is the one thing that is actually moving forward. Getting out of training would be like taking that rudderless boat and dropping a hand grenade into the engine room. Maybe it is because of my association with Reggie, Harry, and my current cave instructor Chris, but the training side seems the least dysfunctional side of the CDS. With exception of the month it sometimes takes Adam to process certs (once again the back office is a huge problem), the department seems to be motivated and focused to improve things.

Why do you think training is hampering the CDS? Is it due to relations with other cave training organizations? Because right now the GUE and CDS seem to have pretty good relations with quite a bit of crossover.

Why? Training is the one thing that is actually moving forward. Getting out of training would be like taking that rudderless boat and dropping a hand grenade into the engine room. Maybe it is because of my association with Reggie, Harry, and my current cave instructor Chris, but the training side seems the least dysfunctional side of the CDS. With exception of the month it sometimes takes Adam to process certs (once again the back office is a huge problem), the department seems to be motivated and focused to improve things.

Why do you think training is hampering the CDS? Is it due to relations with other cave training organizations? Because right now the GUE and CDS seem to have pretty good relations with quite a bit of crossover.

I do think many of the CDS training standards updates that have happened in the past two years will help steer cave training in general. Making Cavern a single tank recreational course is a great step, so are the recent changes to CCR Cave, which allow for a person to do the first half of the training on OC in order to get a real good understanding of the limitations of their bailout rather than "all on CCR or nothing," are two examples of how the CDS training committee has been working on updating their programs.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom