NOW I am angry about the Sewage Spill

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Man, if that happened in Florida, heads would be ROLLING.. and I mean literally.

Why wasn't the EPA involved in getting the situation remedied faster?

Common sense says that pumping raw sewage into a waterway would result in environmental damage which should trigger EPA involvement and potential fines.

dmblack58:
Why wasn't the EPA involved in getting the situation remedied faster?

Common sense says that pumping raw sewage into a waterway would result in environmental damage which should trigger EPA involvement and potential fines.

The EPA's current environmental position is to reduce existing water quality regulations, not improve them. If the EPA had had their way several months back, sewage releases would be commonplace throughout the U.S., every time it rained. The December 2005 compromise offered by NRDC and NACWA thwarted that plan.
http://www.nrdc.org/media/pressreleases/051219.asp

PerroneFord:
Man, if that happened in Florida, heads would be ROLLING.. and I mean literally.

LOL that's right you guys have the new shoot first law, heheh.

This state is truly known (at least in my book) for taking tremendous short cuts in construction. How do you think we got a budget surplus (good thing), by taking short cuts (bad thing). Anyone one know why the roads are so bad here? Becuase they build them the cheap way, they aren't using proper foundations under a lot of asphalt or proper grading. They would instead rather build them cheap and patch them later. Same goes with most things this state builds, Sewer Pipes for example.

Moral of the story: Do it Right the First Time.
(Try explaining that to a politician.)

Turbo][:
When exactly did the spillage happen? I hope it wasn't when I dove there.. gross!

The spillage happened in March and the sites that you dove were not effected....it kinda hangs around the beach and in the sand near shore (south shore).

There is a lot they could have done to avoid this, like regular repair and inspection work on the pipes (like most places). Also all that water could have been treated prior to emission (how do you think cruise ships do it, they don't hold it for a week +).
Like all government projects they are required to use the lowest bidder for a job hence you pay for what you get here it just seems to be worse than other places for the most part. Throw in a very corrupt political system and well this is what happens.
I have heard the EPA is thinking about some serious fines.
I wonder what the long term affects of this is going to in and out of the water.

Ok let me preface this by saying i do not work for the state or the hawaii government. I am in the navy, marine engineer, degree in marine engineering. Couple of point, More so what happens when a bunch of enginners have nothing to do on a raining day.
This pipe is one of the larger ones in use on the island. Therefore:
1. There are not enough trucks on the island to keep up with the amount and rate.
2. The rate and size precluded any time to think about a rational solution. Had it gone unchecked it would have flooded several square blocks.
3. The amount and rate ruled out any sort of treatment prior to putting it into the canal.
3. To repipe would mean a complete shutdown of several square blocks of the sewer system for about a week or so.
4. Like most things on this island, no one was really prepared for this event. Although the pipe had been discovered and i believe another portion had been "patched", there really was no plan to fix anything. remember this is a state that took how long to build H-3.
I just add this to the I can't believe they did this file that is growing exponentially since i moved here 11 years ago.

great post...Somebody that does have an inside track says that they could have done an above ground bypass to the broken section. Even if they dumped for a while and then created the bypass, it might have been better, don't you think? Explain why, even if they had to close some streets this could not be done?

Oh, "the state is a mess" is not enough for me. We have to expect more from them. this is unacceptable.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom