now after diving both raja ampat, bunaken, and wakatobi i have to say...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

... and Ambon
... and Alor
... and Bali
... and Bangka

I second the East Kalimantan, especially the 3 islands, Maratua Atoll, Kakaban & Sangalaki.

Beside the usual fishes & critters that you would see in Indonesia, Maratua atoll is known for the big fish country or the channel where hundreds of barracudas like to hang around, like you would see in Sipadan, a bit north of It.

Kakaban is known the stingless jellyfish lake like you would see in Palau.

Sangalaki is known for the turtles & reef mantas.

Here are a couple videos that will give you a flavor of what you would see in East Kalimantan:

That dive in the second video is EPIC :D

I should not watch these things at work...It makes me want to quit and move to Indonesia :p

Indeed! I did it 3 times when I was there. Still wanted more but ran out of time :(

To get there, you need to deflate your BCD, get your hook line tied on to your BCD D-ring, hold the hook on one of your hand, before rolling back into the water from the boat, quickly do a negative entry down to the ledge of the channel downstream of the boat & drift down to the edge of the ledge. As soon as you reach the ledge, grab a rock & anchor your hook onto the rock crevice, release the hook & let yourself floating in the stream, get your camera ready & enjoy the show until your bottom time or you air tank capacity (whichever comes first) consumed. Usually the air is cosumed first from the excitement. :D

Next time I'm up that way for work, I'm going to see what I can do about getting to that particular dive site. I've done a couple of others in the area, but never seen anything quite like that. It must be done :)

Back
Top Bottom