Novice divers - next trip, next steps?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gryffin

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all:

My husband and I are recently certified. We did our OW in the Carribean in the spring and just completed our AOW, again in the Caribbean. We each have about 18 dives now, including our training dives.

After our OW, I felt that there were gaps in our training- and that we were not as self-sufficient as I thought we should be. During most of the dives, I struggled with the following issues: equalization problems/ear discomfort, mask filling, difficulty descending.

We enjoyed it though, and we planned another dive trip to the Caribbean in the fall. We managed to go on only one dive locally between the two trips- and during that dive, I again struggled with my mask filling and with equalization. I spent some time in the pool the following weekend to try to address these issues and thought I had them figured out.

The shop we booked in the Caribbean recommended that we do our AOW on our trip so that we could get more diving in under the supervision of an instructor. I also figured it would help fill in any gaps in our OW training. We did a refresher shore dive on our first day and then did two, 2-tank boat dives to complete the firsts 4 dives of our AOW (Buoyancy, Fish ID, Deep and Navigation). The first dive each day was deeper: 80-90 ft, the second each day was shallower: 40-60 ft. Unfortunately, I continued to have trouble with my mask filling and equalization during all of these dives. I also had trouble descending. I also started to develop a bit of anxiety about whether I could really deal with an unexpected problem under water. I did, however, manage to enjoy the diving despite these issues. Our last AOW was to be a night shore dive. I was a bit anxious about it, but willing to try it and planned to abort if I didn't feel comfortable. I ended up not being able to equalize- with every attempt my mask would fill- and I inhaled some seawater at 20ft- panicked a little and finally aborted.

The next day was a planned rest day, which was to be followed by two more days of 2-tank boat dives. After the aborted night dive, my ears had been bothering me and I had some anxiety about possibly panicking again. I wasn't sure whether I should continue to dive on this trip.

On the following day- I was able to equalize on the surface, so I decided that I would skip the first deeper dive of the trip, but that I would attempt the second shallower dive and try to complete my AOW with a boat dive. I borrowed a mask from the dive shop since mine was clearly not fitting correctly. The dive ended up being the best so far of the trip. I asked for a little more weight to help with descent, surface swam to the mooring buoy and used the mooring line as a reference so I could go slowly to help with equalization. (On the previous dives, we had been asked to descend to 15-20 ft right after entering the water from the stern and then swim underwater to the mooring line at the bow- this hadn't worked well for me since I was struggling to stay down and having trouble with equalizing). I finally had no equalization issues and only an occasional slow leak from the side of the mask- easy enough to deal with.

I spent the afternoon mask shopping to find a better fit than the prior masks I had tried. I also switched to a smaller mouthpiece for my regulator.

The next day, I followed the same plan- I skipped the deeper dive and did the shallower dive with my updated equipment- it was again a very successful experience- no mask filling, perfect equalization and a comfortable descent/ascent along the mooring line.

While everything worked out well in the end, and overall, we had a good time, I feel like the most of the diving we have done- including our training dives, have been more "trust-me" dives than real training. For example, we did the peak performance bouyancy dive as part of AOW, but we never did the weight check part, though we did do a hover exercise. Most of the dive was just following the instructor on a tour of the reef. The shop we used is very highly rated- maybe most people prefer to maximize the playtime.

I worked through the issues I was having on my own, the dive instructor we were working with didn't seem to be able/willing to give me suggestions (though they were aware of the issues).

I continue to feel like there are real gaps in our training that I need to rectify to be a more confident diver. I tend to be an anxious person, and diving definitely pushes me out of my comfort zone. I enjoy touring underwater when everything is going well, but I do worry that if something unexpected happened, I would panic and not be able to deal with the situation. I think that training and experience will help with this, but I'm struggling to figure out how to get that training and experience.

We would like to plan another dive trip for the spring, and I'm looking for suggestions on a good place in the Caribbean for a novice/beginner diver to get more experience doing easy dives. I'd also be interested in any other ideas for helping to increase my skills/improve my confidence.

Thanks!

If you mask is filling, that means it's leaking. I suffer from the same issue and and am now trying mask number 5 in the pool this weekend. Go back to your dive shop for another mask that fits. Take your snorkel with you. Having snorkel/reg in your mouth can change the shape of your face.

A constantly leaking mask takes all the fun out of diving and it stresses you out. You can't relax. I know this from experience as I was just certified a month ago. Good thing my shop has a good return/exchange policy.

I can relate to your anxiousness, as well.

Sorry, don't thoroughly read. Have you solved the mask issue?

I think I finally have the mask part figured out- after 5 different masks- of which I now own 3. :)

The regulator did distort my face a lot so putting it while trying masks helped. My prior mask actually fit fine with the regulator- but plugging my nose to equalize created an opening just below my nose. I needed a slightly longer, softer skirt below my nose.

On the flip side, I am very comfortable clearing my mask underwater due to all the practice I have had on this particular skill. :)

Yeah, I'm with you on the clearing becoming second nature.

I could be wrong, but I get the impression your physical and gear difficulties probably robbed you of most of the benefits of your AOW course. They sure would have done so if it had been me!

The ear-equalization problems might be worth discussing with and ENT doc. Solve that, and your "difficulty descending" should disappear. The leaking mask will cause any diver, new or experienced, stress, annoyance, salt-stung eyes, decreased vision and situational awareness, and increased work and distraction from whatever else is going on in the dive. Yours seems to have been simultaneous with pinching the mask nose, so you get bad ears and flooded mask in a "double whammy". You were never able to relax underwater, nor hang with the group enough to get in on the teaching as much as you should have.

You've fixed the mask part, and either with medical advice or just more experience, the nose/Eustacian tube part, will get fixed too. Then you'll relax, and learn more, whether with an instructor or just a buddy.

Oh, yeah, you were possibly underweighted. I have found the acid test for that is at the safety stop--if, with empty BC and half-empty lungs, I still can't stay neutral, then I will add two pounds for next time. It's a process of trial and error. Also, being anxious means you breather harder, which tends to make you more buoyant when you don't want to be. Add stress over having to exhale too much underwater to get neutral or slightly negative, leaking mask, and uncomfortable regulator and you had four big stressors- I don't think even "God Senior" could have taught an AOW student much under those conditions.

So I salute you for sticking it out and getting some of your issues resolved. I'm almost tempted to suggest you take another AOW class, but that's probably gilding the lily at this point. Just keep diving and learning, then after about 50 dives, take Rescue. It'll help you with new skills and ready you to help others (may you never need to) while making you a better and more self-assured diver.

Good luck up there in Northern New England!! I'm a Mass. Bay boy who moved way down south long ago. There is good shore diving for you up there eventually, but it'll be easier to finish up your main learning curve in warmer stuff.

Best wishes.

Last edited:
You may see a lot of posts about the relative merits of AOW in general or taking AOW so soon. Just forget all that - you took the course, you made progress (largely on your own), and now you're a better diver. I think it's great that you didn't let mask and equalization issues keep you from advancing. To answer your question, one common strategy that new divers in your situation use is to seek out trips run by a local dive shop (often abbreivated on Scubaboard as LDS). If you can develop a relationship with a LDS and possibly with a group of divers there, and choose a trip that the LDS is leading, then you can dive with a group, most of whom will be more experienced than you. You can learn from this group, and even though it might not be formal instruction, you can ask questions, observe, and generally progess in a comfortable atmostphere. There are almost always instructors and DMs on LDS trips, and these people expect (and usually welcome) questions. It's just one idea - if it doesn't appeal to you or there is no LDS, then just go to Bonaire, find an easy dive site, and dive like crazy!

We would like to plan another dive trip for the spring, and I'm looking for suggestions on a good place in the Caribbean for a novice/beginner diver to get more experience doing easy dives. I'd also be interested in any other ideas for helping to increase my skills/improve my confidence.

Thanks!

Don't worry about taking AOW right after OW, the PADI version of that course is actually designed for that. It sounds to me that what you need more than anything else is practice. SCUBA is a skill based activity that relies on the development of good habits and awareness. This can only be really acquired through repeated practice. I think Bonaire might be perfect for you; you'll develop much more confidence doing very easy shore dives in nice, shallow, no-current environments. You can practice all your skills at your own pace as much as you want.

You mentioned some problems clearing and descending. Both of these are really common for beginners. You have to start clearing immediately as your head goes under the surface, and it's a good idea to orient yourself horizontally. You can try a bit more weight, but IMO most beginning divers are already overweighted. Spongy BCs with lots of useless padding make it tougher to descend and it's not easy for many beginners to really empty their lungs and not kick towards the surface. Try pointing your head down, basically diving like you would snorkeling (except slower) and see if that helps.

Slight barotrauma from lots of up-down near the surface is really common with new student divers, and that can inflame your sinuses a bit, making clearing even more challenging. Hang in there and try the shore diving at Bonaire for a week, I bet that helps.

Roatan is another place with lots of easy, shallow dives, but in general most people would say the diving in Bonaire is better. There are always disagreements.

Cozumel is my favorite diving in the Caribbean and lots of beginners thrive there. But, it is in general deeper diving, with some currents, so it's not ideal for what you have described.

Bonaire -- unlimited shore diving.
Pros:
- you can plan your dives to your comfort level,
- you can dive your dives at your own pace,
- you don't like a dive, you can get out and drive over to the next one (maybe swing by the dive shop to get fresh tanks along the way).
Cons:
- shore entries (hint: hold on to each other an watlz in & out),
- on boat dives, if you book any, they'll generally expect you to know what you're doing, the crew/DM is not going to babysit you.

Roatan -- (with the exception of about one resort) boat diving, 3 tanks/day.
Pros:
- all diving is boat valet diving. You just need to climb on board in the morning, and once on site: put the gear on and drop overboard.
Cons:
- You dive where they take you, in a group. Not needing to plan your day may also be a plus, but If you don't like the dive there's no driving over to the next site. You can stick with the group or thumb the dive and sit on the boat for an hour.

My suggestion: don't decide on Bonaire vs Roatan, decide which of them you wanna do first. :wink:

Curacao - same diving as Bonaire - much easier entries. Most dive sites are also beaches, the ones over ironshore have dive docks for the most part. And facilities,dive shops, food, etc. It should also be easier/shorter/cheaper flights for you thru Newark.

I don't know why people here recommend Bonaire for new divers with all the difficult entries there, the longer. more convoluted flights from anywhere except the SE U.S. and a lot less to do when you're not diving. Curacao was actually a cheaper overall trip also.

www.curacao.com
Scuba Shore Diving Region: ABC Islands - compare entry photos.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom