Novice diver, tried Backplate and wing and looking for recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

joalemma

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I’m a novice, recreational, warm water diver, very petite shoulders, require 14 minimum lbs, and feel I’d be more comfortable “knowing” my gear rather than “fighting” with rentals. I think at my age I’m just generally over “crappy” stuff, whether it be a burger, a pair of shoes, or a scuba BC.

I typically travel to dive and rent gear and most times struggle with the rental vests. They always seem to shift, ride up, and otherwise bother me. Recently I borrowed a Womens ScubaPro Hydros, XS, S. A couple of “pros” that were with me were proclaiming how great the Hydros was yet expressed their surprise as to how it just would not “ fit” me. After assisting me with trying to figure out why the BC was riding up and shifting so much we all subliminally agreed that I’m just weird and they both suggested I try a backplate and wing. A couple weeks later I had the opportunity to borrow an Xs/S Hollis ST Elite aluminum backplate with 22#. I absolutely loved it and, quite frankly, am taken aback as to how it just seemed to “ work”. I had no hesitation in getting comfortable with the set up, was able to relax and enjoy diving because I didn’t anticipate, nor have to, “deal with” whatever issues I typically experience with a vest. It made for fun diving! I did have to wear 18 pounds, as the plate was about 2 pounds and I was in a 7 mil, fresh water. Again, I loved it and don’t see myself using a vest, which works so well for so many, again.

Anyway, for whatever reason a backplate and wing just seems to work better with my figure and weight relative to a vest style BCD so I figure I should purchase that set up vs a vest.

So for a travel set up, where weight is not an issue in packing as I’m adept at traveling light on the clothes, other stuff front, I’m wondering if there are any recommendations other than the Hollis Elite, steel plate ( because 14 to 16 pounds is a lot) with 35 # wing? In looking at this forum, it seems that perhaps the Hollis is a bit pricey though my local dive shop carries them and I do like to “support the local economy”. That being typed, there are typically no discounts.

Is there something different about this Hollis system that justifies the price? Stickers, perhaps? An extra special ink pen that may come with the purchase? I’d need a weight system, as well, though a belt may work fine.

Any other recommendations?

Thanks for any input.

For your travel set up - are you travelling to warm water locations (i.e. a 3mm wetsuit or less?).

For single tank diving I use a 30lb Oxycheq wing.

For travel, and warm water, I use an Aluminum plate (2 lb).
For cold water local diving I use a Steel plate (6lb).

A plate, wing and some harness webbing (with D rings) is about as simple as it gets, and is very customizable. Add a crotch strap to helps prevent the wing riding up.

I would avoid manufacturers who need to add additional embellishments (cushioning, complex harnesses, fixed D ring locations, needless design flourishes, etc).

Looking at plates, and harnesses at Dive Gear Express the DGX plate and harness seem good value. Diverite harnesses are a bit more adjustable if required. Combine it with 2 cam bands for your tank and a DGX/Dive Rite wing and you're set. Their plate/wing/harness packages seem good value: you don't get anything extra paying double or more for a gimmicky setup from a major brand.

Cheers
Rohan

I've been traveling with a SS plate and 30# wing, and single piece webbing harness for years now without issue. Mine are Halcyon, although I would imagine the DGX package is functionally equivalent.

Up until about 2 weeks ago, my point of view was a backplate is a backplate. You get two sets of options: small and regular sized ones (or rarely a long option for really long torsoed people), and heavy or light.

But I was comparing small backplates (specifically dive rite and halcyon) and found the dimensions are not the same, length and width varied between each, which resulted in 4 different sizes just between those two companies.

So if the Hollis fit you and you are apparently hard to fit, just get the Hollis plate. Looking at their website, it looks like the sizing is just related to the harness, not the plate, so you can choose between a heavier stainless plate or a lighter aluminum plate. If you are looking to optimize your specific set up, it is all modular, so you can swap harnesses, wings, weight pockets, etc. you don't need to go all in on a Hollis system.

After assisting me with trying to figure out why the BC was riding up and shifting so much we all subliminally agreed that I’m just weird and they both suggested I try a backplate and wing.

Without a crotch strap. There are very few people with a bcd, that it will not ride up on.

Welcome to a backplate and wing.

get an aluminum plate if you plan to mainly use for warm water travel. and use a weight belt for the rest of the weight as needed. should be about 5 to 6 lbs total luggage weight between plate/harness, wing, and cam bands.

Not sure a smaller wing and aluminum plate would be enough lift with 16 to 18 pounds additional weight? I do NOT dive steel, and mostly warm water where a 3 mil would be more than enough. Though the difference in the steel and aluminum plate may just be 5 pounds

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom