Novice - best underwater camera/case (point & shoot) - December 2010?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Diver85,
Well, I was too late for your last post, because I finally came to a decision - but, essentially, I agree with you that the TS2 photos look awesome!! That kind of convinced me to go with Panasonic brand this time around (the ZS7 has the same type of underwater setting as the TS2, and is good in low light, much like the canon).

Therefore, I bit the bullet and got the Panasonic Lumix ZS7 and the underwater case (I just feel safer that way, than with a waterproof one). The Lumix takes some really nice underwater photos (I found some examples on scubaboard) - just like the TS2 - and the video looks awesome!! I think it will be really cool to film the sharks actually swimming around! :) The photos may not be quite as sharp as the canon underwater (it looks like the canon is hard to beat, in that regard), but they are still really, really good, and the HD video is much better than the Canon. So, on the balance, I thought that the Panasonic was a better deal, overall.

I basically decided that even though the Canon S95 takes awesome shots, it was kind of a waste to pay the extra $$$ for the HD video on that camera, when it doesn't work as well as the Lumix. And the battery issue was bugging me about the S90, because I started thinking "What would I do if it ran out in the middle of my shark tour?" Also, I decided that I would rather only shell out the $278 for the Lumix, in case (by some catastrophe) it gets flooded/wrecked, than the $400 for the canon (The Lumix is cheaper to replace).

Having said that, I have also decided that I DO want to get a canon, too! But, that will have to wait for the next trip. Heck, by then, they might have fixed the HD video issues. :)

Thanks for the input about the Canon housing - in that case, I may get one sooner rather than later - maybe next year. Then, on my next expedition, I can compare and contrast both cameras!! LOL! :)

Thanks, everyone, for all your input and advice.
I will make my report when I get back! :D

Primus, very good pics you linked.......I too use Picasa 3 (then some in Elements 5.0) for editing my pics...What exactly do you mean by 'PP' ie in this statement "I am using only Picasa3 for PP"?..TIA...

Hi Diver85.
I bet he just means "post production" - one of my camera-obsessed buddies always talks about it. :)

Primus, very good pics you linked.......I too use Picasa 3 (then some in Elements 5.0) for editing my pics...What exactly do you mean by 'PP' ie in this statement "I am using only Picasa3 for PP"?..TIA...

With PP I mean "Post Processing". I don't use PhotoShop or other more sophisticated programs for editing my photos, just Picasa3.

With PP I mean "Post Processing". I don't use PhotoShop or other more sophisticated programs for editing my photos, just Picasa3.

Thanks, I was assuming so but wanted to make sure...I mainly use Elements for de-backscattering pics, works perfectly---I've found the Picasa 3 one ie 'Retouch' on their Basic Fixes part to not work for me......

Thanks, I was assuming so but wanted to make sure...I mainly use Elements for de-backscattering pics, works perfectly---I've found the Picasa 3 one ie 'Retouch' on their Basic Fixes part to not work for me......

I have no problems with backscattering since I do not use flash. After many years of scuba diving in 2005 I decided that in the future I'll mainly practice freediving, with a mask and fins only, without weights and that I'll take UW photos only with compact P&S UW cameras without housing, to a depth up to 15 meters and, if only possible, without flash.
I also decided that for PP purposes I will use only basic corrections such as White balance, Brightness, Contrast and Sharpening.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom